Explore the pagoda temples and culture of Burma (Myanmar) on a 4.5-hour grassroots tour of Yangon. Learn the story of Burma at the Aung San Museum in the colonial home of the nation’s founder. Get off the beaten path in residential areas, and more.
What to Expect
Learn the story of Burma (Myanmar) and get to the heart of its local traditions and culture on a half-day city tour of Yangon and its icons.
Meet your local, English-speaking guide, jump in the van and head to Chaukhtetkyi Pagoda, home to a reclining Buddha that's one of the most honoured in the country and one of the largest in all of Myanmar.
Next, stroll through a residential area to Kandawgyi Park. Along the way, your guide will share Yangon anecdotes and answer any questions you may have about local life. Pause for a tea break, before heading into Shwedagon Pagoda.
Once inside the Pagoda complex, discover a unique market that will give you an idea of how significant Buddhism to daily life in Burma. Then, climb a long, stair-filled corridor to the Pagoda platform for a magnificent view. Marvel at the golden dome of the Pagoda, said to have once been covered with tons of pure gold and precious stones, including jade, rubies, sapphires and diamonds.
Transfer back to the meeting point by van, or stay at the Pagoda to continue exploring at leisure, and make your own way back to the city center in your own time.
- English-speaking guide
- Transportation by coach
- Entrance fee to the museum and pagoda
- Local tea/coffee
What's Not Included
- Additional food and drinks
- Tips and personal expenses
Meet in front of Asia Plaza Hotel, 277 Bog Yoke Aung San Road, corner of 38th Street. Downtown Yangon.
Know Before You Go
• Wear comfortable walking shoes and check the weather before you leave, and come equipped with sunscreen, sunglasses, a hat, and a raincoat if necessary
• Dress in Burma (Myanmar) is conservative, so lightweight, long-sleeved clothing is appropriate. Skirts, dresses, and shorts should be knee-length or below
• Children must be 6 years of age to 11 years inclusive. Children below the age of 6 are not permitted on this tour