St. Peter's Basilica Guided Tour with Dome Climb
- Climb to the summit of Michelangelo's Dome
- Join a comprehensive tour of St. Peter's Basilica
- Visit the rarely accessed Papal Crypts and Vatacombs
- Learn from your professional art historian guide
Meet your guide, who is an art historian, in St. Peter's Square and stroll across the piazza into the Vatican City. You climb begins, there are 551 steep steps in total, which is a bit more than most wish to tackle on foot. Take the elevator part of the way up and just 171 steps remain. Climb at a leisurely pace and enjoy the journey with frequent stops.
At the summit, you will witness the breathtaking 360° views of the Vatican City as it extends out into Rome and its seven hills. At this point, take as many photographs as you can because you are very high up and this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
Easy does it on the way down to terra firma. Take a brief break before entering St. Peter's Basilica, which is an absolute triumph of art and architecture that is unmatched anywhere else in the world. This is where Bernini's sculptures and Michelangelo's art rise above holy papal tombs and the perceived necropolis of St. Peter himself.
- Tour guide
- Entrance fees
- Lift part of the way to the summit
- Wheelchair users
Prepare for the activity
Meet at 7:45 AM for a prompt 8 AM departure by the Tiare Fountain, Fontana delle Tiare, Largo del Colonnato, 00120 Roma RM. Your guide will be holding a sign with the local supplier's name on.Open in Google Maps ⟶
- Sleeveless shirts
• There is a strict dress code at the Vatican where both men and women must cover their shoulders and knees