Depart from Thessaloniki to visit Meteora, located in central Greece, a place of natural beauty and man-made wonder. The huge natural rock towers found here are home to 14th-century clifftop monasteries built by Eastern Orthodox hermit monks,
What to Expect
Take this comprehensive tour in Meteora and discover the astonishing Meteora through the eyes and the narrative of the locals.
Meteora is an area in Thessaly (Central Greece) under the rock towers of Meteora (258 km distance from Thessaloniki). The thing that makes Meteora so special is the monasteries on the top of the rock towers. The monasteries, the amount of peaks to climb and the paths for hiking brings many tourists to the Meteora, the whole year.
'Suspended in the air' (the meaning of Meteora in Greek), these monasteries represent a unique artistic achievement and are one of the most powerful examples of the architectural transformation of a site into a place of retreat, meditation and prayer. The Meteora provide an outstanding example of the types of monastic construction which illustrate a significant stage in history, that of the 14th and 15th centuries when the eremitic ideals of early Christianity were restored to a place of honor by monastic communities, both in the Western world (in Tuscany, for example) and in the Orthodox Church.
The route from the Thessaloniki to Meteora takes about three hours. Visit 2 main monasteries of Meteora and discover the natural beauty and the cultural heritage of this area. This tour will take you back to the dark ages and the story of the first hermits and monks who laid the foundations of what later on became the monastic community of Meteora. Learn which monastery was the first to be established and the true motivations behind the monks’ decision to try to climb the steep rocks of Meteora and build the monasteries there. The program is free and can be configured to meet your wishes.
- Pick-up and drop off from your hotel
- Independent tour
- Transportation by air-conditioned Mercedes or similar vehicle
- Free wifi on board
What's Not Included
- English-speaking guide
- Gratuity (optional)
- Entrance fees at the 2 monasteries (EUR 3 per person at each monastery)
Cancel up to 1 day in advance for a full refund
Know Before You Go
• This activity requires a minimum of 2 people
• You should wear closed-toed shoes
• There are many beautiful sights along the way. You are encouraged to bring your camera along
• The monasteries have a strict dress code; men must wear trousers and long sleeves and women must wear a long skirt. If you do turn up in shorts, trousers and long skirts will be provided
• The program for this activity can be configured to meet your wishes
• Extra charges may apply at the time of booking for customers' pick-up if their hotels are located outside Thessaloniki City