Discover the lost city of Petra on a 2-day tour of Jordan’s most spectacular attraction, with round-trip transfers from Tel Aviv, and overnight accommodation in a comfortable hotel. See the stunning rock-hewn Treasury, walk the gorge of the Siq, and more.
What to Expect
Petra is without a doubt Jordan’s most valuable treasure and greatest tourist attraction. Take this 2-day tour from Tel-Aviv, with round-trip flights to Eilat, and 1 night’s accommodation in Petra, to see the vast tracts of sandstone and rock-cut architecture looking over the arid valley of Wadi Musa.
A guide will help you with visa and border control arrangements at the Arava border, and there will be plenty of stops for panoramic views of the scorched landscape. Enjoy free time in the modern-day city of Petra to wander Bedouin bazaars to find one-off souvenirs at bargain prices.
Check in at Tel Aviv’s Sde-Dov Airport to catch the 06:30 flight to Eilat Airport. You will be picked up on arrival in Eilat at 07:30 for the transfer to the Arava border with Jordan, where guides will assist with your visa and passage through border control. Drive by air-conditioned vehicle to Petra using the the desert highway, with a short break at a guest house en route. Continue along the King’s Highway to Hasan Prince Palace for a breathtaking view over the Petra mountains.
Upon arrival at Petra’s visitor center, your guide will escort you into the archaeological site to explore the extraordinary ruins of the Nabatean city. Travel via the narrow gorge of the Siq (“The Shaft”), formed by a deep split in the sandstone rocks. Ahead of you is one of Jordan’s most spectacular monuments, the Al Khazneh (Treasury), hewn into the rock face.
Wander the archaeological complex to see the massive theater at the foot of en-Nejr mountain. Placed to bring the greatest number of tombs into view, the theater’s location provides a miraculous view as the valley opens onto the plains. See colonnaded streets, and façades of buildings that remain as relics of Nabatean society, before stopping for a late, open buffet lunch at Nabatean’s Tent Rest.
Head back to the modern city, where you will have time to shop at Bedouin bazaars. An optional tour to Aqaba, ringed by desert mountains, is available for those who want to experience the Jordan of the future.
After a good night's rest at your comfortable hotel, enjoy breakfast before some free time to wander the lanes of Petra, where you can find a daily market that sells interesting souvenirs, and cheap restaurants or pastry shops for a quick snack. There is also a busy covered market to rummage for interesting knick-knacks, cheap clothes, and more.
Meet back at your hotel at 16:30 for the return transfer to Eilat. En route to the airport, stop at panoramic lookouts to admire Wadi Rum and the desert landscape. Continue for a short, 30-minute, early evening tour of Aqaba (time permitting) before your drop off at Eilat Airport for the 22:05 flight back to Tel Aviv.
- Return flights from Tel Aviv Sde-Dov Airport to Eilat Airport and back
- Return transfers from Eilat Airport to Arava and back
- Transportation in new model air-conditioned car, van, or bus
- 1 night at a 3-star hotel in Petra (Amra Palace Hotel, Edom Hotel, or Petra guest house)
- Entrance fees
- English-speaking Jordanian guide (other languages available on request)
- Lunch at an authentic local restaurant on day 1
What's Not Included
- Border fees (USD 65 special fee for crossing the Israel-Jordan border for over-day tourists. Border fees may change due to currency rate changes)
- Jordanian visa (made on border): $75 per person
- Personal insurance (no Insurance company insures any accident from a horse or any other animal)
- Tips and personal expenses
- Soft drinks
Know Before You Go
• Luxury hotels are available for an additional USD 90 per person
• Single traveler supplement of USD 70
• Visa, tax, tips, and border fees must be paid in cash only (payable in US dollars, pound sterling, or Israeli shekel)
• A valid passport is required. Your nationality and passport number, place and date of issue, birth date, and expiry date is required for reservations
• Please note that certain nationalities require advance issue of visas
• Border passing includes border control and customs. This process may take up to 1 hour, so your patience is required and appreciated
• Bring very warm clothing in winter, a hat in summer, cool comfortable clothing, and comfortable walking shoes
• Lunch will be served late, so please eat breakfast before departure on day 1
• There is a 100% cancellation fee