Sydney’s world-famous Mardi Gras is the evolution of 200 years of gay and lesbian history in Sydney. Hear the stories from the gay governor whose conduct scandalized the British Empire to the bright lights of the gay strip on Oxford Street.
What to Expect
Sydney is one of the world's great gay and lesbian cities — with plenty of stories waiting for you to uncover. Learn about the gay governor of New South Wales whose conduct scandalized the British Empire, the gay bush ranger who was hanged at Darlinghurst Gaol, and the "most violent woman in Sydney," a tough lesbian criminal who carried a knuckleduster in her handbag and stole male gangsters' girlfriends.
Starting out at Hyde Park Barracks, you’ll explore the eastern part of the city near Hyde Park and the Botanical Gardens before your Sydney tour heads toward the bright lights of the gay strip on Oxford Street. Your local guide will share dark tales of organised crime, corrupt cops, murder, and Oxford Street’s ultimate transformation into the center of gay life in Sydney in the 1970s.
And, of course, a tour of gay and lesbian Sydney wouldn't be complete without a look at the city’s famous Mardi Gras — how it started, why it began, and how it’s become one of the largest events on Sydney’s festival calendar. The tour finishes at a friendly gay pub where you’ll have a drink on your guide, rub shoulders with locals, and see why Sydney is one of the friendliest gay and lesbian cities in the world. This tour is designed for everyone — gay, lesbian, or straight. So don’t worry, no matter who you are or how you identify, you’ll be welcomed!
- Local English-speaking guide
- Choice of alcoholic/non-alcoholic drink at the end of the tour
What's Not Included
- Additional food and drink
- Souvenirs and items of a personal nature
- Tips or gratuities for your guide
Know Before You Go
• Dress for the weather: bring a coat and umbrella if it looks like rain, wear comfortable shoes, and bring a bottle of water.
• You will be entering a bar at the end of the tour, so please be sure to wear appropriate footwear.
• Travelers under 18 years of age are not permitted to join this tour.