Discover the city of Plovdiv and Bachkovo Monastery on this private full-day tour from Sofia. This amusing mixture of traditions, culture, and architectural masterpieces are a must-see for every culture-hungry traveller.
What to Expect
A 2-hour drive from Sofia will take you to the city of Plovdiv, Bulgaria’s second largest city and one of Europe’s oldest towns. With the guided walking tour (2-3 hours) discover the history and culture behind an 8,000-year old settlement, written by the Roman, Byzantine, Ottoman, and Bulgarian civilizations. Enjoy sightseeing in the Old Town with its museums, historical monuments, revival period houses, and lined with souvenier shops cobble streets. Entry to the rich Ethnographical Museum and the impressive Roman Theater is included.
In the afternoon, the tour continues on to the Bachkovo Monastery – the second largest monastery in Bulgaria, located in the picturesque gorge of Chepelarska River. You will visit the main church and the dining room with its walls and ceiling masturfully decorated with frescoes.
The full-day tour includes transportation and starts with the pick-up from Al. Nevski Cathedral. An English-speaking guide will accompany you throughout the tour and will show you the most interesting architectural and cultural assets of the region, as well as acquaint you with the contemporary economic, social, and ethical situation in Bulgaria.
- Pick-up from Al. Nevski Cathedral
- Transportation with a modern, air-conditioned, equipped, comfortable vehicle (car or van)
- English-speaking guide throughout the trip
What's Not Included
- Meals and drinks
- Entrance fees
Know Before You Go
• The tour is not suitable for disabled people
• Comfortable shoes are recommended for the cobbled streets of Plovdiv's Old Town
• The tour can be organized with guiding services in other languages (for example German or Spanish) with an additional payment of EUR 40 per group. Please inquire to receive a quote.
• Tour operates on Mondays and Thursdays