Shanghai French Concession 2-Hour Walking Tour
From £22 per personBook now
- See the Cathay Theatre and learn about China’s golden film era
- Visit the stunning Cercle Sportif Francais, which once served as a private palace for Mao Zedong
- Visit Jinjiang Hotel, where the legendary feminist icon Dong Zhujun once presided
- Weave your way through Li Long back-streets and learn about the Opium Wars and Taiping Rebellion
- Visit a 1920s hospital and discover the terrible mistake they made when treating tuberculosis
- See where Shanghai’s White Russian refugees worshipped
- Explore the building in which legendary mobster Big Eared Du stored his opium
It gives you access to colonial mansions, explains how the foreign concessions were formed and describes what impact they had on those that lived there.
During the French Concession Tour you will learn how the Opium Wars and Taiping Rebellion determined the course of Shanghai's history. You will marvel at the property empire of Victor Sassoon and find out why you wouldn’t want to be treated in a 1920’s hospital.
Take an exclusive tour of a drug trafficking millionaire’s mansion and see some of the most historic buildings of Shanghai, such as the Jinjiang Hotel and the Cathay Theatre.
You will also have the option of joining us for a delicious Chinese lunch, cooked with a Shanghainese twist.
During your meal, find out why it wasn’t a good idea for foreigners to eat with Big Eared Du and discover the unusual way in which he attempted to avoid assassination. Learn how Chinese tea customs were influenced by the exploits of a Qing Dynasty Emperor, and more.
- English native speaking tour guide
- All site entry as described
- Transportation to and from start and end point of tour (this can be arranged as an additional service in your choice of taxi or private vehicle upon request).
- Food and drink (unless you also sign up for the optional extra Delicious Chinese Lunch).
- Tax Invoices, which if required cost an additional 15% of the total cost of the tour.
- Other non-tour guide related fees (unless otherwise stated)
The Standard Meeting Point for French Concession Tours is outside exit 4 of South Shanxi Metro Station (line 1), on the corner of South Maoming Road and Central Huaihai Road (Open in Google Maps)
• We reserve the right to start its tours on time, and will not wait for guests more than ten minutes after the scheduled start time of their tours
• Children under 16 must be accompanied by a responsible adult guardian
• We reserve the right to request proof of student or child status in the form of valid identification
• Guests who take part in Newman Tours do so at their own risk
• We reserve the right to refuse people the right to attend and if necessary remove them from their tours if they are intoxicated, aggressive or offensive
• We reserves the right to alter the listed content of tours as a result of bad weather or location inaccessibility; in doing so, we will try to ensure that equally high quality alternative content is provided.
Product ID: 20192