Explore Shanghai’s colonial underworld on a gangster tour through the most famous streets. Learn the art of chopstick pickpocketing, how to cheat at blackjack, and how to shoot like a criminal kingpin!
What to Expect
This private 2-hour tour of Shanghai takes you on a journey into its notorious gangster underbelly. You will learn about the crime lords who once ruled the city like kings, from “Big Eared” Du with his lucky monkey heads, to “Pockmarked” Huang and his police car drug distribution.
Guests on the Gangster Tour will have exclusive access to a set of colonial costumes and accessories provided by Newman Tours to get them in the mood.
After meeting your guide, you will be taken around the French Concession as it was in the 1930s and told the darkest tales and deepest secrets behind the lives of Shanghai's most powerful gangsters and leading criminal families.
Visit famous haunts and hidden corners, and enjoy a complimentary drink in a property that once belonged to one of the world’s most influential families.
We will show you how to cheat at Black Jack and Craps, and explain how colonial Shanghai’s casinos ensured that they always came out on top.
If hanging round criminal estates and learning how to cheat still hasn’t got your heart pumping, then how about shooting some guns? If you are game, and as an optional extra, we will take you to a shooting range and let you participate in a “Cops and Robbers” shooting competition.
- English native speaking tour guide
- A complimentary drink (up to the value of RMB 35. Guests can choose to select a more expensive drink and pay the difference)
- All admission fees
What's Not Included
- Transportation to and from start and end point of tour (this can be arranged as an additional service in your choice of taxi or private vehicle upon request)
- Tax invoices (available for an additional 15% of the total cost of the tour)
- Additional fees
Outside exit 3 of Changshu Road Metro Station (lines 7 & 1) near the junction between Huaihai Road and Changshu Road.
Know Before You Go
• Newman Tours reserves the right to cancel tours by informing confirmed attendees at least 3 hours in advance.
• We reserve the right to start our tours on time and will not wait for guests more than 10 minutes after the scheduled start time of their tours. Children under 16 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
• We reserve the right to request proof of student or child status in the form of valid identification.
• Guests who take part in Newman Tours do so at their own risk.
• We reserve the right to refuse people the right to attend and if necessary remove them from their tours if they are intoxicated, aggressive or offensive.
• Newman Tours reserves the right to alter the listed content of tours as a result of bad weather or location inaccessibility; in doing so, we will try to ensure that equally high quality alternative content is provided.