Learn to make the traditional herbal liquor “hierbas” at a half-day hierbas-making class in Mallorca. Transfer from Palma to the hills of the Serra de Tramuntana. Upon arrival, learn about the herbal ingredients, and take home a bottle to keep.
What to Expect
Learn to make a traditional herbal liquor in the beautiful mountains of the Serra de Tramuntana.
Meet your guide on Plaza Espanya in the historic heart of Palma de Mallorca, and transfer to the mountains on the scenic west coast. Head to your guide’s home village of Esporles to discover a lovely community in the UNESCO-listed mountains.
Upon arrival, walk in the hills to gather the herbs needed to make a hierbas liquor. Learn about the local plant life as you take in the spectacular landscape. Made from anise and other local herbs, some of the plants needed are easier to find at home than on the hill. However, the hike will enable you to visit local houses, find leaves from lemon and orange trees, and meet the locals by shopping in their gardens!
Once you have gathered the herbs, go to your guide’s patio and prepare bottles of the famous drink. Choose which herbs to put into your own personal concoction. The traditional liquor is loved across Mallorca, and locals love to gather around a table and share homemade hierbas.
Having brewed your own hierbas, break for a typical Mallorcan merienda of light snacks. Watch the sunset while your hierbas ferments. This will take 3 months, so it won’t be ready to drink just yet. However, you’ll get to take your bottle home so that you can serve it back home and savor your memories. If you’re travelling by air, and only have carry-on luggage, you can get a smaller-size bottle to take home with you.
- Local English-speaking guide
- All ingredients to make "hierbas"
- A "hierbas" bottle to keep
- Mallorcan snacks
What's Not Included
- Tips and personal expenses
Meet in front of Café Ses Estacions, Plaza Espanya, 6, 07002 Palma, Illes Balears
Know Before You Go
• Please note that "hierbas" is a strong alcoholic drink, but you will not be drinking any during the actual tour
• This is a child-friendly tour
• Children aged 6 to 11 are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. They will be served soft drinks. Please select "child" on booking
• Children under 6 years old can join the tour free of charge. Please advise at the time of booking if you’ll be bringing a child under the age of 6. You can do so in the special request box on the checkout page