Escape the hustle and bustle of San Jose on a bike ride around the beautiful town of Cartago. Discover a sleepy oasis of local culture. Learn its fascinating history at frequent stops. Visit Cartago Central Market to taste the local cuisine.
What to Expect
Meet your guide at the Jimenez Apartments in Parque España, one of San Jose's oldest parks. Hear a bit of the history of the park and its surrounding buildings. Then wander across the street for a view of the Yellow House. Continue to the National Liquor Factory as your local guide gives snippets of information about the landmarks.
Next, take a 10-minute uphill hike to the Atlantic Railroad and board a train to Cartago. Sit back and relax on the scenic 45-minute journey. Pass the university campus as you head into the mountains and through coffee plantations. Upon arrival in Cartago, hop on your bike and pedal the streets of the beautiful town. Learn about its history during frequent stops. Many of the locals travel by bike, so you’ll fit right in.
End at Cartago's Central Market and sample the local life through its food and flavors. Brush shoulders with the locals and dive into their cuisine, getting plenty of insights from your guide along the way. Then climb aboard a local bus for the return transfer to San Jose. Here, your guide will be happy to point you in the direction of your accommodation or give you some tips to explore the city on your own.
- Local English-speaking guide
- Food samples
- Transportation tickets
- Bikes and helmets
What's Not Included
- Transfers from your hotel to the meeting point and from the drop off location to your hotel
- Food and drink (other than specified above)
- Personal expenses
- Tips for the guide
Cancel up to 2 days in advance for a full refund
Know Before You Go
• Bring sunblock and a hat for the morning tours. Bring your camera and some money in case you want to buy some souvenirs. An umbrella or poncho is recommended in case of rain. Wear casual clothes and please bring a hat and sunglasses in hot weather
• Children must be 6 to 11 years old inclusive. Children below the age of 6 are not permitted on this tour