On this full-day Beyond San Francisco Tour you’ll experience the highlights and hidden gems of the Bay Area through the eyes of a local Escape Artist guide! Take in San Francisco’s famous hilly terrain, rich history, eccentric culture, and stunning surroundings.
Start your San Francisco tour by crossing the iconic Golden Gate Bridge and stop to marvel at this feat of engineering and hear captivating stories of its creation. Then head to Muir Woods for a stroll through an old-growth forest of massive redwoods, some of which have grown to nearly 300 ft.
After enjoying a Cascadian safari lunch, spend time in the Marin Headlands, part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area. The Park is an excellent spot to discuss the active geological fault lines that have produced the area’s uneven terrain. Walk gentle trails, watch birds hover over the waters of Rodeo Lagoon, and look for sea lions and seals congregating at the base of coastal cliffs. Positioned at the mouth of the San Francisco Bay, the Marin Headlands also served as a strategic military location. Many fascinating remnants of World War II and the Cold War can be seen in the Park today.
Once you have finished winding through the Marin Headlands, it is back across the Golden Gate Bridge to explore San Francisco. On your return to the city, you’ll visit as many of the following San Francisco icons as time allows:
- Haight-Ashbury: the mecca of the 60’s hippy counter-culture
- North Beach: San Francisco’s “Little Italy” and a Beat Generation hangout
- The Mission District – hip neighborhood known for its funky murals, Central-American heritage, and bustling Dolores Park
- Golden Gate Park – large urban oasis of green spaces and gardens
- The Castro – one of the first gay neighborhoods in the country
- Fisherman’s Wharf: fishing hub known for its fresh seafood and the sea lions of Pier 39
- Ocean Beach – scenic spot on the west coast of the city that is often frequented by fog and surfers
Throughout your Beyond San Francisco Tour your “Escape Artist” guide will weave a narrative of the city that covers topics from native ecology to California cuisine. You'll escape the luxury vehicle frequently to experience the sites first-hand and immerse ourselves in this amazing destination.