Badia a Passignano Visit & Chianti Tasting ExperienceProduct ID: 56848
From £46.29 per personBook now
- Visit a unique art treasure on a guided tour of La Badia a Passignano
- Discover a Renaissance masterpiece – the "Last Supper" by Ghirlandaio
- Visit a winery and taste local wines
The visit starts at the parking lot of the abbey which is located between Florence and Siena. Your guide will lead you to discover a unique place dating back to the year 395 and the well kept Italian garden. La Badia a Passignano is the result of huge architectural and decorative changes dating back to the Renaissance, reflecting the strong presence of Florence also in rural areas.
Everything here suggests typically Florentine Renaissance art, strongly supported and personally realized by the Medici, first by Lorenzo the Magnificent in the cloister, the wooden choir, in the extension of the monastery to promote the novitiate and in the summons of famous artists to decorate the complex, then by Cosimo I de Medici in the late Renaissance paintings that were all made under his direction. At the end of 800, the monastery is transformed into a Neo-Gothic castle and private residence. The contrast of two different architectural styles is virtually unique in Chianti, and of strong historical interest. Friends of Florence, a non-profit foundation established in 1998 in the United States, supported the completion of the refectory’s restoration of the abbey, in particular the refined Last Supper, frescoed by Domenico Ghirlandaio (1476-77). The restoration of the fresco is completed and your guide will show you this masterpiece just recently available to be admired by all art lovers.
After the tour of the abbey which lasts approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes, you will visit a winery where you will have the opportunity to taste the famous Chianti wine. The story behind Chianti must be told by those who were born with a passion for wine, who have been making wine for years, for whom every vintage is a new beginning, having their roots in the past but looking towards the future. The drive to the winery, located within 30 minute drive from the Abbey, will take you through the marvelous landscape of the Chianti hills.
The duration of the visit to the winery including wine tasting varies from one hour to one and a half hour. Transportation is not included, these visits are specifically designed for travelers on a self drive holiday or you can rent a private car with driver which will take you to the visiting places. In case of visits in the afternoon, you will first visit a winery at noon and then you need to drive to the abbey for a guided tour, between the two visits you will have spare time for lunch.
- Admission and guided tour of the Abbey La Badia a Passignano
- Visit to a winery
- Wine tasting of 3 wines
- Transportation to/from attractions
Meeting points Abbey visit: at the parking lot of the Abbey La Badia a Passignano Winery visit: Directly at the winery - The address wil be provided after your booking Please be at the meeting point at least 5 minutes before the visit starting times (Open in Google Maps)
• A dress code is required to enter the abbey. No shorts or sleeveless tops allowed. Knees and shoulders must be covered for both men and women
• The visiting times of the abbey are fixed but the supplier can customize the visiting time of the winery to your specific needs. Please advise at the time of booking if you prefer a different time than the one suggested.
• Visits may be shared but always in small groups
• The winery is located approximately 30 minute drive from the abbey - The address will be provided after your booking.
• Free cancellation up to 3 days before the visits, no refund after this time
Product ID: 56848