Rome: St. Sebastian Catacombs and Appian Way Coach Tour
From £49 £39 Save up to 20% per personBook now
- Discover the underground burial chambers of early Christians in Rome
- See the stunning aqueducts of the Appian Way
- Learn where the apostles St. Peter and St. Paul are thought to have been buried
- Travel along one of the most historic roads of the Roman Empire
- Marvel at the beauty of the Cecilia Metella Tomb
Depart for the catacombs by air-conditioned coach, traveling in groups of no more than 16 people. Drive into the beautiful Latium countryside, stopping en route at the Basilica of St. Sebastian. According to legend, the basilica’s catacombs once held the bodies of the apostles of St. Peter and St. Paul during the persecutions.
Your guide will give you an introduction to the church façade, before taking you inside to see the tomb and sculpture of Saint Sebastian. Then, descend to the catacombs, the 1st burial site of the Appian Way. See where the bodies were buried in the loculi and niches of 5 levels.
Continue along the Via Appia, looking for the marks of chariot wheels from the Roman Republic. Arrive at the Tomb of Cecilia Metella, built in the 1st century BC to honor the daughter of the Roman Consul, Quintus Caecilius Metellus Creticus. Learn how it later became a castle for the Caetani family, a princely family with close ties to the papacy.
Next, go to see the largest aqueducts of the Roman Empire at the magnificent Aqueduct Park. See an aqueduct that still supplies water to this day, and gaze at the aqueduct arches as they stretch over miles.
- Transportation by modern air-conditioned coach
- Licensed guide
- Entrance fees to the Catacombs of St. Sebastian
- Pick-up and drop off
- Food and drinks
Meet your guide in front of the Basilica di Santa Maria degli Angeli e dei Martiri, close to the "Repubblica" Metro station. Your guide will be holding a "Mea Tours" sign
• Good walking shoes is a must
• Please bring an umbrella, in case of rain
• This tour is not wheelchair accessible, due to the nature of the route
Product ID: 50928