Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel Small Group Tour
From £70 per personBook now
- Discover masterpieces of art and architecture in the Vatican City
- See works by Michelangelo, including the stunning frescoes of the Sistine Chapel
- Go to the papal apartments painted by Raphael
- Admire the graceful colonnades of Bernini
- Look an ancient maps of incredible accuracy
- Travel back to Ancient Rome and Ancient Greece
- Explore the world's largest art collection in the smallest country on the planet
Gaze up at the vast cathedral as it soars 140 meters (420 feet) into the heavenly skies, and goes deep under the earth to the tomb of St. Peter. Some say it would take half a year to see everything at the Vatican. Your tour will focus on the renowned masterpieces and historical landmarks.
See Bernini's graceful Colonnade, along with the Altar of Glory, magnificent mosaics, and the most ancient bronze statue of St. Peter at St. Peter’s Basilica. Look at the Holy Door, and the canopy that Bernini made from bronze taken from the Pantheon. Admire relics of St. Peter, and one of Michelangelo's most magnificent sculptures at “La Pietà” - the only work he ever signed.
Go into the Papal palaces that now house the Vatican Museums. Learn about famous works by Giotto, Beato Angelico, Raffaello, Leonardo da Vinci, and Caravaggio. Travel back in time to Ancient Greece and Ancient Rome as you admire a collection of Greek and Roman artifacts, such as the Apollo del Belvedere, and Laocoonte. Look at tapestries by Raffaello, and maps by a cartographer of the 16th century that are so precise they could still be used today. Walk through the papal apartments, and see the rooms of the Stanze di Raffaello, painted by Raphael.
Then, it’s time to enter the Sistine Chapel to gaze in awe at frescoes by the greatest artists of the 15th century, including Michelangelo. Throughout the tour, guides will share their knowledge of the history, art, and architecture of the Vatican, and recount how a small tomb of a fisherman became the center of Christianity. Hear the secrets and intrigues of Pope-Kings, saints, and miracles. Journey through the story of human frailty and wonder!
- Skip-the-line tickets to the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel
- Headsets (for groups of more than 6 people)
Meet in front of the main entrance of the Vatican Museums, next to the entrance with the reservations sign, Viale del Vaticano 107 (GPS coordinates: 41.906842, 12.453414) Directions from Ottaviano - Musei Vaticani Metro A Station: Exit the turnstiles and walk straight to the back of the station. Take the left side exit. Exit at V.le Giulio Cesare (to your right). Then, walk down V.le G. Cesare to the street light. Cross the street and take the left on Via Leone IV. Turn right on Viale Vaticano and walk until you reach the Vatican Museums entrance Directions from St. Peter's Square: As you face St. Peter's Basilica, turn right. Exit the piazza and follow the Vatican walls toward the entrance to the Vatican Museums.The walls should be on your be on your left side. Follow the walls up Viale Vaticano until you reach the entrance of the Vatican Museums (Open in Google Maps)
• Tours end close to St. Peter's Square
• Please note that there is a strict dress code at the Vatican: no skirts above the knee, no shorts, no bare shoulders (tank tops or sleeveless blouses), and you must wear shoes. You will not be permitted inside the Basilica unless you are dressed appropriately. Since this tour goes into the Basilica through the Sistine Chapel, it is important that you respect the dress code
• If there are children with you, please do not take the tour with your baby buggy. The Vatican Museums allow you to take baby buggies into the Museum, but not inside the Basilica. Therefore, it is strongly recommended that you do not carry the buggy with you before entering the Museums, otherwise you will risk losing the group at the Sistine Chapel
• Please note that on Wednesdays the tour will not enter the Basilica due to the Papal audience
Product ID: 60181