Get up close to some of the finest examples of Baroque art in Rome on a 4-hour private tour. Discover some magical places in the Eternal City, and have the opportunity to admire the best of Caravaggio’s magnificent paintings.
What to Expect
This 4-hour private tour of Caravaggio’s art and Rome’s Baroque masterpieces is the perfect opportunity for a close-up look at the artist’s work. Michelangelo Merisi, alias Caravaggio, one of the greatest painters of all time, spent the majority of his life in Rome.
Your driver will pick you up at your hotel with a limousine (or minivan if there are more than 3 passengers) for the drive to the city center.
The tour begins at Piazza del Popolo and the Basilica of Santa Maria del Popolo, where you’ll see The Crucifixion of St. Peter and The Conversion of St. Paul. Then you’ll pass near 2 of Caravaggio’s residences, Palazzo Madama, the seat of the Senate, and Giustiniani Palace, which now houses the offices of the Senate.
Your guide will tell you about unusual events in Caravaggio’s life and also provide commentary on the architecture or current functions of the main Italian government houses such as Montecitorio Palace.
See the major masterpieces of Caravaggio, including The Life of St. Matthew in St. Louis of France’s Contarelli Chapel, and The Madonna of the Pilgrims in St. Augustine. Admire Baroque architectural masterpieces, including the Church of St. Ignatius.
Pass by the Pantheon and hear about its history from your guide. Your tour ends in Piazza Navona, where you’ll be able to admire one of the Bernini’s masterpieces, the Fountain of the 4 Rivers, and Borromini’s façade of St. Agnes in Agony. Hear stories of these rival artists, and about the tragic end of Caravaggio’s life in Rome.
- Limousine hotel pick-up (minivan for more than 3 passengers)
- Professional art historian guide
- Private walking tour
- Privileged skip-the-line admission
What's Not Included
- Food and drinks
Know Before You Go
• A moderate amount of walking is involved
• There is a dress code for entering places of worship. No shorts or sleeveless tops are allowed. Both men and women are required to have their shoulders and knees covered. You risk refused entry if you fail to comply with these dress requirements
• A minimum of 2 people per booking is required