Best of Rome & Vatican City: Skip-the-Line Tours
From £79 per personBook now
- Explore the top sites of ancient Rome and take in the splendor of Vatican City
- Marvel at the iconic Coliseum as you learn about its history
- Tour the major galleries and admire the art in the Vatican Museums
Take a walk across the arena floor and hear about the life and times of Romans during an age that was characterized by bloody and violent games. Learn about the making of a gladiator and gain an understanding of what the games meant to onlookers as well as participants.
Leave the arena behind and walk up ancient Via Sacra to the Roman Forum. See the main basilicas, temples, and ruins in the Forum area, and hear about the role and influence of Gaius Julius Caesar in ancient Rome. You’ll understand how the Roman Empire became so powerful and learn from your guide about the complex chain of events that led to its decline.
The Coliseum and Roman Forum tour finishes at approximately 11:15. You’ll have free time to explore more and enjoy lunch until you check in at 14:45 for the Vatican tour.
In the afternoon, you’ll visit the famous Vatican Museums and the major galleries, including the Belvedere Courtyard, which houses ancient and classical pieces that inspired so many artists, the Pius-Clementine Museum, the Room of the Muses, the Round Room, the Greek Cross Room, the Gallery of Tapestries, the Gallery of Maps, and the Raphael Rooms, before heading to the awe-inspiring Sistine Chapel.
Prior to entering the Sistine Chapel, you’ll learn about Michelangelo and his struggle to accept and complete the work that became what is arguably the single most recognized piece of art in the world.
Next you’ll head to St. Peter's Square, where your guide will tell you about the history of the Vatican City State and the Swiss Guard.
At this point, the tour ends, and if you like you can visit the Basilica to see Michelangelo's Pietà and Dome, and Bernini’s Baldacchino.
- 2 comprehensive tours: Ancient Rome and Vatican City
- All admission tickets with VIP priority access to the Coliseum, Roman Forum, and Vatican Museums
- Transfers to the meeting points
Meet in front of the tourist information center on Via dei Fori Imperiali and your guide will be holding a "When In Rome Tours" sign and / or red umbrella. The tourist center is a 4 minute walk from Colosseo metro station. When you exit the station at street level, turn RIGHT. Alternatively, the tourist center can be reached from Piazza Venezia with a 6 minute walk towards the Colosseum and it's on the LEFT. From the bottom of Via Cavour, turn left and you're there in 1-2 minutes.
• In the summer, be sure to carry water and wear comfortable shoes or sandals
• There is a dress code inside the Sistine Chapel (Vatican Museums) as follows: Inside Vatican City men and women must have their knees and shoulders covered
• The cost of a taxi to the tour office from the city center is between EUR 8-10 and the journey time is 15 minutes. Alternatively you can take the 492 bus from Largo Argentina to the corner of Viale Vaticano. The tour office is nearby, at Via Sebastiano Veniero 21. Journey time by bus is 30 minutes
Product ID: 56470