Ostia Antica Half-Day Tour from Rome by TrainProduct ID: 10454
From £44 per personBook now
- Catch the train to the former harbor town of Ancient Rome
- Walk down streets following in the footsteps of citizens of the Roman Republic
- Take a pew on one of the public communal toilets!
- Stay in Ostia to explore the modern town at leisure, or go to the beach
Along the way, marvel at well preserved remains of taverns, thermal baths, warehouses and theaters. Walk the main Decumanus Maximus thoroughfare as your guide brings the stones to life. Admire Roman statues that line the walkways, and feel as though you are walking in Ancient Rome itself.
Go to the Baths of Neptune, crowned by an impressively intact mosaic of the sea god being drawn by a 4-horse chariot. Imagine the roar of the crowds at the amphitheater, and take your place in the stands just as 3,500 spectators would have done back in 12 BC when it was first built.
Visit the communal Forica (public washrooms), where a marble bench is lined with 20 well-spaced holes along 4 walls of a large open room. Take a seat to experience one of the more natural and human aspects of Ancient Rome!
At the end of your tour, you have the option to remain at Ostia Antica and the modern city of Ostia, or go to a nearby beach. Those who prefer can join the guide on the train back to Rome for the end of the tour services.
- Return train from Rome to Ostia Antica
- Ostia Antica entrance ticket
- English-speaking guide
Meet at the Cafe Piramide opposite the Piramide Metro Station (Line B/Blue Line). You can identify the cafè by the red umbrellas on the tables outside. The scheduled meeting time is 08:25 for an 08:40 departure (Open in Google Maps)
• There will be a toilet break, with time for a snack and/or drink at the snack bar
• The tour service ends in Rome at the Piramide Metro Station (at approximately 13:00-13:30). You are free to remain in Ostia after the tour if you prefer. Train tickets are provided, but your return journey will be unescorted
• It is your responsibility to be at the tour departure points
• Sneakers and socks are recommended for this tour, as the terrain can be rugged
• Remember to bring your beachwear to enjoy the beach at Ostia after your tour
• Regrettably, this tour is not wheelchair accessible or suitable for those with walking disabilities. In this instance, it's advised you book a private tour
• In case of a transportation strike or other unforeseeable problem with the public transport system, a minibus will be provided at no extra cost to transfer clients to and from Ostia Antica. The meeting point will remain the same
Product ID: 10454