Explore the volcanic archipelago of Vestmannaeyjar Islands off the south coast of Iceland on a scenic 14-hour tour of the “Pompeii of the North.” Spend the day in spectacular nature, and learn the haunting history of the islands and its angry mountains.
What to Expect
Take a guided boat cruise to experience the many wonders of Vestmannaeyjar, and marvel at the colorful ocean caves and thousands of seabirds off the coast of Iceland. Look out for pods of whales exploring the sea in summer.
Then, take a guided bus tour after lunch to explore Heimaey back on dry land. Go to Herjólfsdalur Valley to visit the ruins of an old farmhouse from the 1st settler on the Westman Islands. Continue to Storhofdi to see a nesting site for puffins. Learn more about the area’s history and astonishing scenery at the Eldheimar Museum (entrance fee included). Alternatively, go to the Folk Museum at your own expense, or just take in the majesty of the Eldfell volcano.
Return to the mainland by ferry, where the bus will be waiting to transfer you back to Reykjavik.
- Transfer by bus to and from ferry port
- Transfer by ferry to and from Vestmannaeyjar
- English-speaking local guide on boat tour and bus tour in Vestmannaeyjar islands
- Entrance fee to the Eldheimar Museum
What's Not Included
- Guidance on the transfer bus to and from ferry port
- Guidance on the ferry to and from Vestmannaeyjar
Cancel up to 1 day in advance for a full refund
Know Before You Go
• This tour requires a minimum of 3 participants
• Please note that the pick-up service starts 30 minutes prior to the scheduled tour departure. You are kindly requested to wait outside your hotel or guesthouse for the pick-up bus. Please provide advance notice of your hotel details. Alternatively, you can make your own way to the Gray Line Bus Terminal at Holtagarðar, Holtavegur 10, 104 Reykjavík. Please arrive at least 15 minutes prior to the tour departure stated on your voucher to check in
• Please note that the discount for children and youth is a family discount, and applies to maximum 2 children/youths per full paying adult