Reykjavik: 1.5-Hour Puffin Watching TourProduct ID: 34793
From £36 per personBook now
Pick-up serviceHotel pick-up and drop off is offered for an additional charge of EUR 13 per adult and EUR 6.50 per child. The pick-up starts 45 minutes before each departure and serves all hotels and guesthouses in the Reykjavík area.
- Encounter charismatic puffins and other sea birds close-up
- Sail to Akurey, Engey or Lundey to see the puffin breeding grounds
- Get up-close views via the free on board binoculars
- Encounter puffins in an environmentally friendly manner
- Learn interesting facts and hear tales about the puffins and their surroundings
Depending on tides and weather conditions, you will head to Akurey, Engey or Lundey on a 1.5-hour cruise. These islands are well known for their plentiful birdlife, and in addition to puffins you will have the opportunity to view other birds, such as eider ducks, arctic terns, guillemots, cormorants, fulmars, geese and oystercatchers.
The islands' shores are rocky, but the captains know the best spots to get close to the puffins in their natural habitat. If the weather is right he might even turn off the engines so that you can listen to the birds' calls. Luckily the puffins usually stay put for a while, so they are easy to photograph.
Although you get close to the islands, the puffins are comparatively small birds and the free use of binoculars on board comes in handy. You can also borrow a rain jacket to keep your dry, and sip authentic seaman's coffee to keep warm.
- Warm overalls, raincoats and blankets on board
- On board binoculars to borrow
- Naturalist guide to enhance your experience
- Refreshments (available to purchase on board)
Meet at the Elding ticket office right in the heart of Reykjavík, no more than 300 meters (5 minutes) walk from the downtown Tourist Information Centre. Exchange your ticket before heading to the boats. Ægisgarður 5, 101 Reykjavík, Iceland (Open in Google Maps)
• By buying a ticket for this tour you are contributing to the summer research projects, environmentally friendly and responsible tourism and non-governmental organizations for the protection of wildlife
Product ID: 34793