Take a driver-guided Super Jeep journey to Iceland's beautiful Þórsmörk Valley on this exciting tour from Reykjavik. Enjoy a hike into the foothills of Eyjafjallajökull and Fimmvörðuháls volcanoes, and admire the region's majestic glaciers and scenery.
What to Expect
With its rugged nature, surrounded by glaciers and their mighty glacial rivers, criss-crossed by towering canyons and the steep foothills of the Eyjafjallajökull glacier, the Þórsmörk valley is a sight not soon forgotten. Embark on an amazing day tour to explore one of Iceland’s most breathtaking regions.
To reach this secluded highland valley, travel by a modified 4x4 vehicle, a genuine Icelandic Super Jeep, accompanied by an experienced guide.
On the way to Þórsmörk, visit the picturesque Seljalandsfoss waterfall and pass the Gígjökull glacier lagoon, where to experience the results of the destructive power of the Eyjafjallajökull glacier firsthand. In 2010, a massive flood of melted water and small icebergs from the volcanic crater ripped the glacier to shreds and flooded the area completely.
Continuing onward to the Básar region. whence the 6-8 hour hike up and down the Fimmvörðuháls volcanoes commences. The ascent is between 700-800 meters (2,200-2,600 feet), and this picturesque hike is approximately 20 km (12.5 miles) in total.
This is the site of the first of two volcanic eruptions in 2010. During the hike you will not only be able to touch the new lava, see the brand new craters, mountains and the now cooling lava falls, but also enjoy vast sweeping views of one of the most beautiful highland natural sites in all of Iceland.
Many tours claim to be once in a lifetime, but if wild places, stunning (and challenging) hikes and volcanoes stir your imagination, this is sure to be a trip to be remembered.
The super jeeps seat only 5-12 persons, so the safaris are always a small group experience!
- Pick-up and drop off service to/from all major hotels in the downtown Reykjavík area
- Guided super jeep tour
- A guided hike up the Fimmvörðuháls Volcanoes
- A certified guide
- Visit to Seljalandsfoss Waterfall
What's Not Included
- Hiking shoes (can be rented directly from the operator for a small fee)
Know Before You Go
• Remember to bring warm outdoor clothing, waterproof jacket and pants, head wear, lunch and gloves. Good hiking shoes are essential. Hiking shoes, waterproof jacket and pants can be rented if you notify the operator in advance.
• Please note: This trip is weather and condition dependent. The operator reserves the right to cancel or change this trip if the circumstances are not in your favor. In these cases, a full refund, a rescheduled date, or an offer to join other day tours will be provided
• Tour participants must be at least 14 years of age