Get close to nature on an ice cave tour of Langjökull Glacier. Discover what lies beneath the ice on this once-in-a-lifetime adventure. Descend into the glacier´s icy netherworld and explore the nearby lava fields and waterfall of Hraunfossar.
What to Expect
Depart Reykjavík early and head to Langjökull Glacier. Upon arrival, marvel at the 953-square-kilometer land of ice (the second largest glacier in Iceland).
You will travel aboard a new bus equipped with computer tablets in each seat for your convenience. Make use of the GPS-sensitive in-bus audio guide (available in English, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Finnish, French, Japanese, Korean, Chinese Mandarin and German), along with a USB charger and free Wi-Fi.
Then, get ready to stand on top of a vast ice-cap and descend into the icy netherworld of a glacier. You will journey to the ice cave aboard a huge, specially-modified 8WD truck. Discover a man-made tunnel of ice in a remote area of the glacier at the very heart of Iceland. Listen as your guide explains how global warming has started to impact the glacial environment. Then, go on an amazing journey deep within the glacier, and see and feel the stunning blue-hued ice up-close as it's in constant motion.
Until very recently, what lay beneath the surface of Langjökull Glacier was a mystery. Sometimes, with vision and determination, bold ideas can become a reality. The realization of the seemingly crazy notion of boring an ice tunnel deep into the glacier only became possible through the combined efforts of Iceland's top engineers and geophysicists. Once inside, experience temperatures that are usually around 0 degrees Celsius or 32 degrees Fahrenheit.
Continue into the Borgarfjörður Valley and see the stunning mile-long waterfall of Hraunfossar as it gushes through a wall of lava!
- Free pick-up from accommodations in Reykjavik
- 1-hour guided ice cave tour with all necessary safety equipment
- Local guide on the bus
- In-bus audio guide in a choice of 10 languages
- Tour in a specially-modified 8WD glacier vehicle on Langjökull Glacier
What's Not Included
- Headphones (it's recommended you bring your own as they will fit you better and it's better for the environment. However, they are available to purchase on board the vehicle if needed)
Cancel up to 1 day in advance for a full refund
Know Before You Go
• Please dress according to the weather. In Iceland it's always wise to wear warm and waterproof clothes. The weather can change suddenly, so expect the unexpected. Bring a waterproof jacket and pants, head wear and gloves. Good outdoor shoes are also recommended