See the spouting geyser and hot springs, visit and stand on one of the biggest glaciers in Europe, follow the footsteps of Vikings down the lava canyon where the American and European continents have been drifting apart in Þingvellir National Park.
What to Expect
You will depart from Reykjavík early to catch the golden morning sun. In order to get to your destination, you will step on board the all new bus fleet, equipped with computer tablets in each seat. You can use the GPS Sensitive In Bus Audio Guide on these, available in 10 languages. Onboard you'll also find a USB Charger and free Wi-Fi. The tour starts with a visit to Þingvellir National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site listing, and the birthplace of the longest running parliament in the world. It is also here that the great continental plates of America and Eurasia have dramatically pulled apart, and the resulting rift valley is clearly visible on the shores of Iceland´s biggest lake.
The next stop is Geysir Hot Springs, the home of the original geyser, and one of the most photographed tourist attractions in world. Here the ground trembles and super heated water and steam erupts skywards from the spouting Strokkur geyser every few minutes. Next you'll stop for a leisurely walk down to Gullfoss Waterfall. Here the Hvítá glacial river cascades down 32 meters on two levels into a narrow canyon with a thundering roar.
Where the central highlands start, with their uninhabited pristine nature, you will board one of the custom-made Super Trucks, capable of driving across rough snowy terrain thanks to their enormous tyres. The drive to the snowmobile base camp at the foot of the Langjökull Glacier is a splendid Arctic highland experience, and the snowmobile tour that follows is a once-in-a-lifetime adventure. Ride across the eternally frozen snow and ice fields of one of the biggest glaciers in the world on a guided snowmobile tour, exploring one of the last true wilderness areas in Europe and indeed the world.
- In bus audio guide in 10 languages
- Free tour pick-up from your accommodation in Reykjavík
- Knowledgeable local guide
- Admission to the sights
- Snowmobile ride with two people on each snowmobile
- All necessary equipment for the snowmobile ride
What's Not Included
- We recommend you bring your own headphones, simply because they'll fit you best. It is also great for the environment. If you don’t have headphones, or forgot to bring them, earphones are sold on board.
Know Before You Go
• Dress according to the weather. In Iceland it's always smart to dress in warm, waterproof clothes. Weather changes can be sudden, so expect the unexpected.
• Bring a waterproof jacket and pants, head wear and gloves. Good outdoor shoes are recommended