Crete: Gourmet Trail of Rethymnon Small Group Tour
From £124 per personBook now
- Experience real Cretan food, from classic kalitsounia to freshly baked baklava
- Learn how Crete’s culinary traditions have led to one of the healthiest diets in the world
- Participate in a wine tasting workshop and food pairing in one of the oldest Venetian cellars in town
- Learn about Greek coffee and see it brewed the traditional way on sand
- Enjoy a glass of local beer or ouzo, and a signature raki cocktail at a hidden local spot
Stroll through the oldest neighborhoods in Rethymno, while sharing with you your passion for local food and traditions. Walk along alleys and laneways before kicking off our culinary delights with a freshly brewed Greek coffee made the traditional way… on sand! While walking along narrow laneways in the heart of the old city, you’ll get to savor Crete’s famous kalitsounia, one of the most classic and delicious Cretan appetisers. Kalitsounia are pastry pies filled with cheese and spinach, fennel, or wild local greens. Best of all, you’re going to taste one at a 100-year-old bakery that’s a local favorite!
Next stop will be the jewel of the crown, as it is one of Rethymno’s oldest Venetian buildings, part of a Dominican monastery that was built the 14th century. Here, in a 700-year-old stone wine cellar, you will participate in a one-of-a-kind wine and food tasting workshop. You’ll learn all about the varieties of Greek grapes and wines (you’ll even receive a personalized folder with the history of Cretan wines), and get to taste red, white, rosé, and dessert wines, all accompanied by paired food plates.
Leaving the cellar, we’ll continue our walk through the old town and visit a local sweets shop. If you have a sustainable sweet tooth, then we’ve got you covered, as this patisserie creates sweet delights using only local, organic products. How about some baklava with ice cream made from sheep’s milk from a local farm? Next up on this Rethymno tour, you go to sample some locally brewed beer and meze. But instead of heading to a tavern, you are going to snack in a local art venue where you can chat with the artist and find out how Crete never fails to inspire artistic hearts.
Last but not least, you’ll try a signature cocktail made just for you, starring our liquid royalty, raki. Also known as tsikoudia,raki is an alcoholic beverage — a fragrant, grape-based pomace brandy of Crete. Your culinary tour of Rethymno will sadly finish here.
- Local English-speaking guide
- Food and beverage samples as indicated in the itinerary (coffee, pastries, traditional sweets, wine/spirit tasting, locally produced ice cream, locally brewed beer, and meze platter)
- Additional food and drinks
- Items of a personal nature
- Tips/gratuities for your local guide
At the Square of the Four Martyrs in the centre of modern Rethymnon (in front of the Four Martyrs Church). Your guide will be holding a Crete Urban Adventures sign. (Open in Google Maps)
• This tour can be customized to cater for dietary needs at your request. Please notify us if you have any allergies or other dietary requests when you book. You can do this in the "Additional information" box at checkout.
Product ID: 70169