When the lights go down the animals come out. Take advantage of this chance to see the Costa Rican rainforest at night. Your guide will teach you about a wide variety of nocturnal jungle creatures as you spot tiny tree frogs, Coatimundis and much more!
What to Expect
For those who wish to discover the night-time wonders of the forest, Hidden Valley offers a fascinating guided night walk. This tour is led by our professionally trained bilingual naturalist guides.
After enjoying the beautiful sunset, you will first observe diurnal (daytime) species, especially a wide array of birds, as they prepare to settle in for the night. As darkness falls, you will witness as the forest begin to awaken once again. Nocturnal creatures start to emerge from their slumber. They populate the jungle floor and trees with their distinct sounds and movements. Your guide will explain many of the unique sights and unusual sounds while pointing out an array of insects, reptiles, birds, bats, and mammals.
The creatures that you are likely to spot include several types of:
● Spiders (especially tarantulas)
● Sleeping blue crowned mot-mots
● Tiny tree frogs
● Coatimundis (A South American raccoon)
● Agoutis (A breed of rodent and guinea pig)
● Several types of bats
If you're really lucky, you may even see a sleepy sloth, a wide-eyed kinkajou (also known as the honey bear), or an armadillo. This is a great opportunity to learn about the diverse animals that remain hidden by day in the Costa Rican Rain Forest.
Your naturalist guides will explain the different forms of life and they will also help you to appreciate the fascinating creatures that inhabit in the forest at night, allowing you to get a different perspective on animal life in Costa Rica.
- Round-trip transportation from hotels in Monteverde area
- Entrance fee
- Spanish and English speaking Guide
- The night tour ticket also includes free entrance to Hidden Valley Trails during the day
Know Before You Go
● Visitors are advised to wear long pants and suitable, covered footwear and to bring a jacket; temperatures can get pretty cool here at night.
● Please reconfirm your tour at least 48 hours in advance. Your exact pickup time and location will be provided upon reconfirmation of your tour.