Discover one of the great treasures of the Dominican Republic on a 10-hour tour of Hispaniola Island, and follow in the footsteps of Christopher Columbus. Visit the artists village of Altos de Chavon, and enjoy a lobster lunch on the Chavon River.
What to Expect
Explore one of the scenic jewels of the Caribbean on a full-day tour of Hispaniola Island from Punta Cana.
Journey across enthralling rural landscapes as an experienced guide shows you every nook and cranny of the humble land and its people. Go to the city of La Romana, one of the most popular resort towns of the Dominican Republic. Learn about Dominican culture, including its love of baseball. Visit the Francisco A. Micheli Stadium, home to the Toros del Este. Delve into the history of legendary Dominican players who have made it to the Major League.
Then, watch master craftsmen rolling a cigar at Tabacalera de García, the world’s largest cigar factory. Continue to an artisan village to experience the bona fide bohemian lifestyle of the island. Discover why La Romana flourished, and why Altos de Chavón enjoys such prosperity today. Walk through lush tropical gardens, and see a replica of a Roman-style amphitheater.
Explore Taino archeological finds at the Regional Archeological Museum. Then, shop for genuine handicrafts at one of the picturesque gift shops along the path. Next, board a riverboat and glide down the Chavón River. Marvel at the dazzling panoramas of a tropical paradise as you devour a delicious grilled lobster lunch. Feel the warmth of the tropical sun caress your skin as the waves drift to the cadence of merengue.
End with a spiritual pilgrimage to the shrine at Higüey Basilica, where Dominicans come to worship their Patron Saint, the Virgin of Altagracias.
- Transportation by air-conditioned vehicle
- Grilled lobster lunch, fresh seafood salad (1.5-2 pound grilled Caribbean lobster, served with rice and vegetables, fruits, and coffee. A chicken breast option with rice and vegetables is available to anyone that doesn't eat lobster)
- Soft drinks, beer, rum, and wine at lunch
Know Before You Go
• Please wear comfortable clothes and bring sunscreen, your camera, and extra money for tips and souvenirs
• This tour is not recommended for guests with reduced mobility, the disabled, or pregnant woman due to uneven terrain