Enjoy a full-day private tour of the north of Mauritius. During the day you’ll explore the historic Pamplemousses Botanical Garden, taste rum at L’Aventure du Sucre, visit Château de Labourdonnais and browse the shops and markets in Port Louis.
What to Expect
Discover the north of Mauritius on a private 8-hour excursion. You’ll be picked up at your hotel and head off to see the main attractions of this part of the island.
Explore the sights at your own pace while the driver waits for you. In the historical village of Pamplemousses, you’ll have a chance to see the famous Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam Botanical Garden, with its giant waterlilies and 85 varieties of palm trees from around the world. You’ll also find a variety of spice and medicinal plants and learn about the various endemic and imported plants in the garden.
In the same village, you’ll visit L’Aventure du Sucre, an informative museum housed in an old sugar factory. Learn about the history of sugar and also of Mauritius, the slave trade and rum. Sample the different varieties of sugar and delicious local rums.
Tour Château de Labourdonnais, a beautifully restored colonial mansion built in 1859, and visit its enchanting tropical garden. Take a walk through the orchard and the bird garden. See the giant tortoises and enjoy a guided tour of the rum distillery on the estate, with a free rum tasting at the bar.
A tour of the north isn’t complete without a visit to Port Louis, the capital of Mauritius. Experience the hustle and bustle of the city’s historical market, built in 1828, where you can bargain for different spices and souvenirs and sample Mauritian street food. Take in the modern Le Caudan Waterfront, where you can shop at brand name stores and eat at a variety of restaurants.
Take a leisurely walk through Port Louis to see sites that interest you, such as the Jummah Mosque, Blue Penny Museum or the Aapravasi Ghat (a UNESCO World Heritage Site).
For some great views, your driver will take you to the citadel and you’ll get to see the Champs de Mars Racecourse on the way.
- Fully licensed, qualified driver
- Air-conditioned and insured taxi, minibus or coach
- Private transfers for your group to and from your hotel
- Waiting time
- Parking fees
What's Not Included
- Attraction entrance fees
- Lunch or snacks
- Gratuities (optional)
Cancel up to 1 day in advance for a full refund
Know Before You Go
• The duration of the tour is up to 8 hours, and you will be able to choose how long you spend at each attraction. Depending on the speed of your group, you may not have time to see all the listed attractions. You will be able to stop for lunch but the price of the lunch is not included
• Fees are not collected for attractions, so this means it is possible to skip the ones that don’t interest you and spend more time at the ones that do
• Be sure to bring mosquito spray
• Due to the age and value of certain objects in the house, flash photography is not allowed inside the chateau as this could cause damage