This lake is the highest above sea level in Sao Miguel. A sleeping volcano sits in an undisturbed landscape. Set in the central part of the island, the lake is high above the villages, in a protected natural reserve.
What to Expect
This tour starts in a parish village Faja de baixo, famous for the cultivation of pineapple. There, you'll have the opportunity of seeing the whole process of pineapple cultivation of the Azores.
On reaching the town of Ribeira Grande, discover the architecture from this cities and of the island, pass by viewing points that overlook part of the north coast of the Sao Miguel. You'll have the opportunity to taste some traditional liquors. Visit the thermals of Ribeira Grande Boilers, a thermal suite constructed in the nineteenth century. In the central zone of the valley lies a large amount of clear blue boiling water.
Afterwards, you'll stop in the natural park of the Caldeira Velha for a relaxing stroll. Experience direct contact with nature. The Fire Lake, is a lake of very blue water, surrounded by dense and lush vegetation. It is the highest lagoon of the island of Sao Miguel, situated in the Pico da Barrosa at 937 meters.
- Private driver/guide
- Hotel/port pick-up and drop-off
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
Know Before You Go
• Children must be accompanied by an adult
• Infant seats are available upon request if advised at time of booking
• Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 1 day of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
• At time of booking, Cruise ship passengers must provide the following information at time of booking: ship name, docking time, disembarkation time and re-boarding time