Discover some of the sacred cities of the ancient Mayans on a tour of Chichen Itza, Hubiku and Ek'Balam. Go to one of the subterranean "cenotes" and swim in the mystical waters of the underworld. Marvel at ancient engravings and images of winged beings.
What to Expect
Depart Playa del Carmen and travel by air-conditioned minivan to Chichen Itzá, stopping for a 10-minute break along the way. Arrive at the sacred city of the Itzáes, where the sun (k’in Ahau in the Mayan language) sets on March 21 and September 21 during the spring and fall equinoxes.
Marvel at the great "pyramid" of Kukulkan Castle and discover an icon of astronomical, architectural, mathematical and engineering wisdom. Together with the platforms, the castle tells a story of the past through its many sculptures and representations of feathered serpents. See the masks of Chaac, the god of rain said to live in the sacred cenote (entrance to the underworld).
Admire ancient engravings and glyphs established by the gods, according to the sacred book of "Popol Vuj." Explore the Astronomical Observatory (also known as "The Snail") and the area of the church, where masks from the Mayan classic period can be found.
Then, go to the Cenote Hubiku and cool off in the water. Enter the subterranean cenote through its stone stairway. Marvel at how the sunlight pours through the entrance to turn the water a beautiful blue. Experience the water temperature of approximately 20-21 Celsius.
End at Ek’Balam, where you can climb the acropolis and see the monumental entrance to the underworld. Look at representations at the grave of Uk’it Kan Lec Tok before he was reborn as the mythical god of corn. Admire motifs such as the jaws of a jaguar and an offering of over 7,000 pieces of jewelry by the best goldsmiths of the time. Appreciate the wealth of the former city, comparable to sites found in Egypt and China.
Experience the unique mysticism of the Mayan world as you look at sculptures in the form of winged beings. Comparable with images from other cultures, such as in India, the site also provides a chance to learn more about the Kingdom of Talol in the city of the "Jaguar Star."
- Pick-up and drop off at your hotel or apartment
- Transportation by air-conditioned minivan
- Small group tour
- Entrance fees
- All activities
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
What's Not Included
- Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase)
- Drinks at the restaurant
Cancel up to 1 day in advance for a full refund
Know Before You Go
• Confirmation will be received at time of booking
• Children must be accompanied by an adult
• Infant seats are available on request if advised at time of booking
• Dress code is smart casual
• Please advise of any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
• A vegetarian option is available. Please advise at time of booking if required
• It is recommended that you bring sports shoes, sandals or flip flops, a swimsuit, towel, sunglasses and a hat
• Biodegradable sunscreen and mosquito repellent are recommended
• Don't forget your camera
• Bring some Mexican pesos in cash for additional expenses and tips