Scottsdale: 3-Day Grand Canyon Backpacking & Hiking Tour
- Learn about the extensive history of the Grand Canyon
- Take in fascinating panoramic views across the canyon
- Visit the Colorado River and the Phantom Ranch
- Hike along the iconic Bright Angel Trail
- Watch the sunset from Plateau Point
Meet your guide at the Scottsdale hotel and drive to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. Begin your hiking adventure at the South Kaibab Trailhead and enjoy a 7.5-mile trail that descends over 4,800 feet down to the canyon floor of this spectacular gorge.
Take in fascinating views across the main corridor which is nearly 18 miles across. Learn from your expert guide how to interpret the age of the various rock layers during the descent. Discover rock layers that age back to over two billion years. The Grand Canyon is one of the few places on earth where you can find rock layers half the age of the earth.
Take a short break before continuing your hike down. Wind down the Devil's Corkscrew, a series of exhilarating switchbacks, and then on to the Colorado River, cross the extension bridge to the north side. Finally, arrive at the Bright Angel Campsite for the remainder of the day an,d stay overnight.
Get energized the next morning with fresh coffee and breakfast before heading to the Indian Gardens, the site of the second night. Enjoy a wonderful afternoon hike to an overlook above the river after savoring lunch. Following a 4 to 6 miles hike, enjoy dinner at the Plateau Point.
On your last day, savor a nutritious breakfast before heading to the rim and the Grand Canyon Village. Once back at the trailhead, take a last look at the canyon's vastness while enjoying lunch. Take back home a souvenir from your canyon adventure before returning to Scottsdale by mid-afternoon.
- Round-trip transportation from Scottsdale, Arizona
- Entrance and permit fees for the Grand Canyon
- Backpacking equipment including backpack, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, trekking poles, and a double occupancy tent
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner
- Professional guide with wilderness medical certification
- Food preparation handled by your guide
- Plate and utensils
- Water bladder and water bottles
- Hiking shoes
- Hotel fees before/after the tour
- Children under 10 years
- Pregnant women
- People with back problems
- People with mobility impairments
- People with heart problems
- People with respiratory issues
Prepare for the activity
It is recommended to stay at the SureStay Plus Hotel by Best Western Scottsdale North. However, if you choose to stay elsewhere, please meet your guide outside the lobby of the SureStay Plus Hotel by 4:55 AM.Open in Google Maps ⟶
- Hiking shoes
- Weather-appropriate clothing
• Please book the tour at least 4 months in advance for the best chance to receive a permit on your selected dates
• This tour is not recommended for people with limited mobility
• Good physical fitness is required to take part in this tour
• Please note there will be extensive elevation gain and loss during the hike
• It is advisable to break-in new hiking boots before the start of the tour
• During the summer months of June to August, temperatures can reach up to 115°F+/46°C+
• You will receive a full gear list of items you will need to bring after you complete your booking