Enjoy the expertise of a professional designer and the knowledge of a licensed tour guide while exploring NYC's Garment District. Highlights include fabric stores, fashion landmarks, famous design schools, and garment industry history.
What to Expect
This Garment District tour is a mix of garment and retail industry history, fashion landmarks, famous television locations, "insider" stories about working as a designer, and more. This private guided walking tour allows for an in-depth look at the garment industry.
Highlights of the Garment District tour include fabric and trim stores, fashion landmarks (Bryant Park, Fashion Walk of Fame), history of famous fashion design schools (F.I.T. and Parsons), and more. Along the way, find out which buildings house the headquarters of famous fashion designers, delve into the history of New York's garment manufacturing and retail industries (including the histories of great department stores like Macy's and Lord & Taylor) and explore the evolution of Fashion Week from its earliest beginnings in the 1940s to the present day.
Private tours include a custom itinerary, and can be designed to focus primarily on history and sightseeing, or can include extended fabric shopping time. Private tours are ideal for fashion or costume students, designers, seamstresses, and anyone interested in a comprehensive look at the industry. Private group size allows plenty of time to ask questions of the tour guide, who is an actively working costume or fashion designer.
All private tour participants receive exclusive discounts at Garment District fabric stores, trim stores, restaurants, coffee shops, and more.
- Custom tour itinerary
- Services of a professional designer and licensed NYC Sightseeing Guide
What's Not Included
- Shopping transportation (subway, bus, and/or taxi)
- Food and beverages
Tour meeting point will be a well-known store or landmark; location varies based on tour itinerary
Know Before You Go
• Comfortable shoes are recommended as tours are conducted primarily on foot
• By purchasing and/or participating in a tour, you agree to their terms and conditions
• Anyone under the age of 15 must be accompanied by a paying adult
• Please do not bring large luggage or backpacks on tours
• Tours are held rain or shine. The operator reserves the right to cancel a tour in the event of severe weather or other extenuating circumstances
• Cancellation is required at least 48 hours prior to a scheduled private tour