New York: Metropolitan Museum of Art Italian Art Tour
From £88 per personBook now
- Learn about 5 centuries of spectacular Italian art in New York's Metropolitan Museum
- Explore works by Titian, Caravaggio, Raphael and more, walking in small groups for better views
- Travel through different art styles, from the 14th century through the Renaissance and Baroque
- See masterpieces by Tintoretto, Bellini, Botticelli, and many more
The shift developed in the following centuries and can be seen in the work of artists such as Fra Carnevale, Mantegna, Fra Filippo Lippi and Botticelli.
Examine the High Renaissance of the early 16th century, when the leading artists had sufficient technical expertise to achieve almost any naturalistic effect they desired. You will see paintings from Florence and Rome, including works commissioned by wealthy families and religious orders in Mantua, Milan, Urbino, Parma, and Ferrara. The Venetian School had its own High Renaissance style, as seen in paintings by Bellini, Titian, Veronese and Tintoretto.
Continue your tour through the evolution of the Renaissance into Mannerism, led by artists such as Bronzino and Parmigianino. The excesses of Mannerism were brought to an end by the naturalism of Caravaggio and the revised classicism of Annibale Caracci, the leading protagonists of the early Baroque.
Explore the development of the Baroque style by artists like Guercino, Reni, and Luca Giordano, whose rich colors and fluid technique paved the way for the development of Giovanni Battista Tiepolo's jubilant Rococo style of the 18th century.
- Art historian guide
- Entrance ticket (you must book this during the booking process)
Meet inside the entrance of the Metropolitan Museum, by the group reservations desk. This is to the left as you enter the museum. Just ask the guards or at the information desk in the middle of the atrium if you're confused. They'll direct you towards the desk. Note that there is a security line to enter the museum, and bags need to be checked, so plan accordingly for a slight delay. The closest subway stop is 86th Street Station - 4, 5, 6 (Green Line).
• The minimum age for this tour is 12 years old
• Please note that there are no tours on 1 January, 4 July, Thanksgiving, or the 24 and 25 December
• Tours can be cancelled up to 48 hours prior to the walk with an 85% refund. Within 48 hours all reservations are final and cannot be refunded
• Tours are held rain or shine, with some variations to accommodate the weather
• If you are running late, please call so that the operator can relay a message to the guide. No shows are treated as last-minute cancellations and are non-refundable
• Cancellations within 2 business days need to be made directly with the local office by calling directly (or on the emergency number provided). Cancellations made via email or by calling the U.S. 800 number may not be honored
Product ID: 14575