Satisfy your craving for pizza on a 3-hour walking tour of New York’s Lower East Side, and sample 3 different pies in one of the city's most pizza-dense neighborhoods. Taste pizza from a century-old coal-burning oven, trendy new slice joints, and more.
What to Expect
Explore New York’s Lower East Side on a unique walking tour that combines a little history, some local color, and a lot of pizza!
Once the proving ground for newly arrived immigrants, the Lower East Side housed a mix of Germans, Poles, Ukranians, and Italians - all from working class families just trying to make it their home. It was a neighborhood so cramped, the goal of all who lived there was to get out as quickly as possible.
Fast forward a few decades and it has become one of the hottest neighborhoods in New York. More importantly, it has become one of the most pizza-dense neighborhoods on the planet! The streets are filled with classic slice shops, tiny Neapolitan eateries, and creative new angles on century-old techniques.
As you walk - and your guide fills you up with pizza knowledge - stop at 3 pizzerias, each specializing in a different stage of the pie's development from a humble Neapolitan street food to a celebrated American staple. Spend time with the owners and pizzaioli (pizza makers) to learn some of the tricks of the trade.
Beyond learning about ancient pizza toppings and dough stretching techniques, compare the baking patterns of 3 different pizza ovens. By the end of the tour you’ll have a deep understanding of pizza’s origin, as well as its evolution into a worldwide phenomenon.
- A lovely walk through the Lower East SIde
- Pizza slices at 3 incredible pizzerias
- History of one of NYC’s oldest neighborhoods
- Your very own pizza tour survival kit
- More information about pizza than you ever thought possible (or necessary)
- Guidance by a certified pizza enthusiast (and licensed tour guide)
What's Not Included
- Toppings (your guide keeps it simple!)
Know Before You Go
• This is a walking tour, so please wear comfortable shoes and dress for the weather