Greek and Roman Art at the Met: Guided Tour
From £91 per personBook now
- Tour the famed collection of Greek and Roman antiquities housed in the Metropolitan Museum of Art
- Your guide for 2.5 hours will be an archaeologist or a classical historian
- Hellenistic sculpture, Roman imperial portraiture, funerary sarcophagi, Pompeian wall painting and more will be on display
- Acquaint yourself with the most up-to-date methodologies in studying classical art
Now housed in a stunning and newly constructed wing, the Greek and Roman collection has been the prime focus of the museum for some time now. This 2.5 hour private tour and seminar will feature an unparalleled collection of classical antiquities. As this is a private tour, your guide will help you, one-on-one, to investigate the artistic heritage of Greece from prehistoric times, as well as a wonderful variety of Roman and Etruscan art.
As you plunge into the vast collection of artefacts, you will discuss the development ancient art. The tour will begin with a concentration on the various schools of Greek vase painting from the 7th to the 4th century BC and the classical sculpture of the 5th and 4th centuries BC. The Metropolitan Museum of Art’s reinstallation of Hellenistic and Roman art, including major artworks of the era, will allow a close investigation of the era’s eclectic nature. Hellenistic sculpture, Roman imperial portraiture, funerary sarcophagi and Pompeian wall painting will be on display for you to view.
Throughout the tour, your guide will introduce you to the most up-to-date scholarly methodologies in studying classical art, both in their technical and theoretical frameworks.
The goal of this privately guided tour is not only to acquaint you with the famous works and characteristics of the major genres of Greek and Roman art, but to thematically explore the common subject matters expressed in classical art. At play in classical art are Greek mythology, religion and ritual, Roman imperial propaganda, as well as everyday life.
- Archaeologist or classical historian guide
- Museum admission
- Hotel pick-up and drop off
You will meet inside the entrance of the Metropolitan Museum, by the group reservation desk. This desk is to the left as you enter the museum. Feel free to ask the guards or information personnel for assistance. Please note that there is a security line to enter the museum and bags will be checked. Expect a slight delay and plan accordingly. The nearest subway stop is 86th Street Station on lines 4,5 and 6 (green line). (Open in Google Maps)
• No-shows are treated as last-minute cancellations and are not refundable
• Walks can be cancelled up to 48 hours prior to the walk with an 85% refund. Within 48 hours all reservations are final and cannot be refunded.
Product ID: 14451