Explore the ancient capital of Japan and discover a peaceful city, brimming with dazzling temples, shrines, imperial tombs and machiya houses built in the traditional style. Meet divine deer roaming the streets and grab tasty street food.
About this activity
- Free cancellation
- Cancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
- COVID-19 precautions
- Special health and safety measures apply. Learn more
- Mobile ticketing
- Use your phone or print your voucher
- Duration 3.5 hours
- Starting time 9:00 AM
- Instant confirmation
- Live tour guide
- Explore Buddhist temples that once held enough power to influence the emperor himself
- Stroll the beautiful backstreets of the old town and discover handcraft havens, quirky shops and traditional machiya houses
- Watch the turtles at the picturesque Sarusawa pond
- Go close to the fabled, holy deer of Nara
- Taste some of the best street food delights in the city
- Local English-speaking guide
- Local snacks
- Entrance fees for all the sites mentioned
- Additional food and drinks
- Souvenirs and personal shopping
- Tips or gratuities
- All areas that customers touch are frequently cleaned
- Customers must keep distance in vehicles
- The number of visitors is limited to reduce crowds
- Customers are required to bring and wear masks
Select participants and date
Prepare for the activity
At the fountain in front of the exit at Kintetsu Nara station. From the train platform go through the east gates to street level, via the staircase, where you will see the fountain with a statue of a monk, on your right-hand side.Open in Google Maps ⟶
What to bring
- Comfortable shoes
Know before you go
- Some of the places in Nara-machi vary on each tour as they have irregular opening and closing days. In case of unexpected closure of the Todaiji temple, the tour will either be rescheduled or canceled. If the cancellation is caused by an unexpected reason, you will receive a full refund.
- Only children between the ages of 6 and 11 are allowed on this tour.
- Some dietary restrictions can be accommodated. Please notify us in advance if you have any dietary requests. The snacks included on the tour are not substantial so if your dietary requirements cannot be met, a liquid refreshment will instead be provided.
- The tour group can include a maximum of 12 people.