Get transported all the way from Nagano Station to the world famous Snow Monkeys and have a wonderful afternoon. Visit the historically signifcant Zenko-ji Temple filled with history and urban legends, then enjoy a sake tasting.
What to Expect
A great tour for all seasons, this is a 1-day guided tour of the most famous attractions of Nagano City and Jigokudani or “Hell’s Valley,” home of the Snow Monkeys. Take a scenic route to see the cutest monkeys in the world, then experience the tranquility of Zenkoji Temple and lively Nakamise shopping street.
Meet your guide at Nagano Station at 08:45 (the guide will be there by 08:30). From Nagano Station, take public transport with your guide to the Snow Monkeys. World-famous for their rare habit of soaking in the hot spring and living in the snow, these amazing macaques will let you get really close to them for some great photo opportunities and an unforgettable experience. After saying goodbye to the snow monkeys, stroll back along the tranquil forest trail to a delicious lunch at the restaurant near the trail exit.
After lunch, return to Nagano Station again by public transport and take local bus from there to Zenkoji. Famous for being the temple to hold the first Buddhist statue in Japan. Zenkoji Temple has a special energy and welcomes people of all faiths and religions. The temple grounds are beautiful and tranquil; there are hidden gems to explore, such as the dark tunnel running under the temple, said to be where you can gain enlightenment by finding the “Key To Paradise”.
After exploring the Zenko-ji Temple, head to the local Japanese sake brewery to try various types of sake maybe even find a nice souvenir for yourself.
- Snow Monkey Park entrance fee
- Personal tour guide
- Transportation between attractions
- Sake tasting
Know Before You Go
• Please note that this is not a private tour and you might be together with other travelers, depending on the day
• There will be a substantial amount of walking involved, although routes will be generally flat and easy to walk. In winter the forest trail can get slippery
• Please wear suitable shoes for walking the forest trail (no heels) and a bag that is easy to carry. A small ruck sack is recommended
• There is also a possibility to take this tour when staying in the Yudanaka or Shibu area. This also goes for those staying at the Shiga-kogen area, but only during the winter months. Please note that the meeting point will be Yudanaka Station for the former two, and for the latter, it will be Hassuike bus terminal. The time of meeting will change as well as the time of return
• There are a few days in the year that the monkeys might not come down to the park. In such case the park is closed and we will provide an alternative activity