Dachau Memorial Site: Full-Day Tour
From £19 per personBook now
- Pass through Dachau’s Jourhaus with the infamous sign, Arbeit Macht Frei
- Tour the Bunker and Barracks with a Memorial-qualified guide
- Get a glimpse of one of the darkest points in recent human history
On this 4-hour tour, a highly experienced and Memorial-qualified guide will provide detailed commentary on all aspects of camp life and death for the hundreds of thousands of prisoners that passed through the gates from 1933-1945:
• Why the camp was opened and the first prisoners to arrive
• The 3 phases of the Camp, and its evolution and development
• S.S. Training Facility – the School of Terror
• Jourhaus, the entrance building and gateway into the camp, with its infamous sign Arbeit Macht Frei (work will set you free)
• Appellplatz, the roll call square
• Memorial Site Museum in the former maintenance building
• Registration of new prisoners and their categorization
• Torture and punishment, both physical and psychological
• The Bunker, the prison within the camp
• Bunker Courtyard for both torture and execution
• Barracks, prisoner life and daily routine
• Camp perimeter fence and guard towers
• Barrack X – 2 crematoriums, mass graves, and the gas chamber
• The Nandor Glid sculpture and religious memorials
Dachau’s importance as a center for education and remembrance makes this a day that is impossible to forget.
Your tour includes round-trip travel from Munich by public transportation. After the tour the guide will return with your group to the Marienplatz meeting point, arriving at approximately 16:45.
- All transportation costs (train and bus)
- Memorial-qualified, experienced guide
- Food (Note that it is not permitted to eat food while on tours at Dachau, so be sure to either eat a big breakfast or bring something to eat on the train on the way to the site.)
The meeting point is the Marienplatz, the main central plaza in Munich, at 10:40. Look for the large white and blue signs on the left side of the plaza. As a reference point look for the small newspaper and souvenir kiosk close to the western end of the Marienplatz by the intersecting streets Kaufingerstrasse, Rosenstrasse and Weinstrasse. Please arrive 10 minutes before the scheduled departure time so that the tour can begin promptly at 10:45. Please note that during the Christmas Markets the meeting point is by the Mariensaule (Mary's Column), a large column with the Virgin Mary positioned on the very top. The Mariensaule is located in the very center of the Marienplatz. (Open in Google Maps)
Children of 14 or under can visit the site free of charge. In certain cases you may need to purchase a train ticket for your child, and your guide will advise whether this is necessary at the time of the tour.
Although the guide has extensive experience guiding younger visitors, the Memorial Site guidelines indicate that some of the exhibits and themes may be unsuitable for those under the age of 12.
If you choose the student/senior citizen discount you must bring and show a valid student card (any international school or university) or proof of age (for senior citizens) to receive the reduced price.
Product ID: 46973