Experience the haunting memorial to the holocaust at Dachau Concentration Camp on a half-day tour from Munich. Learn about the history and workings of the camp, and explore the surviving buildings and museum.
What to Expect
Take a 5-hour tour of the Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial, which today displays the authenticity of the original environment. It is a place of memory, of pilgrimage, and of education. To visit it can be a challenge, but also a deeply moving and memorable experience.
A professional guide, trained and authorized by the Memorial site, will organize all travel arrangements, taking you on the return journey by train and bus from Munich. You will get a comprehensive tour of the entire area, including all the surviving original buildings, the museum exhibition center, and the cinema, which screens an English language documentary film.
You will learn about the history and character of the concentration camp, of the stories of the victims and the unendurable oppression they were subjected to by the servants of a twisted ideology. The guides are trained to convey this often difficult and disturbing material to you with sensitivity, with dignity, with respect for the victims, and without recourse to cheap sensationalism.
You will discover how, of the many picturesque towns and villages that lie on the outskirts of Munich, one of the prettiest, the medieval town of Dachau, became the center of an evil that was born among the rustic charm.
This was the “parent” KZ ("Konzentrationslager"). KZ Dachau was the “Academy of Terror”, the originator, role-model, and training ground for the vast order of brutality that spread over half of Europe in the wake of the armies of the Third Reich, and which ultimately culminated in one of history's greatest crimes: the Final Solution.
What distinguished Dachau is that almost everything that happened in the system as a whole happened at some level there. Human medical experiments were conducted. Soviet prisoners were sent to their mass executions. Jewish prisoners were transported to the gas chambers of Auschwitz. Almost every category of victim passed through its infamous Arbeit Macht Frei (“Freedom through Work”) gate.
- Fully guided tour by an officially qualified guide trained and authorized by the Dachau Memorial
- Transport from Munich and back
Radius Tours office in Munich Central Train Station (Hauptbahnhof), located in the area just across from tracks 32-34.
What to Remember
• The environment is one of particular sensitivity and historical significance. Visitors are asked to behave in an appropriate and dignified manner. Some of the information covered by the guide and visual material on display may require parental discretion with regard to minors
• Please note that the majority of the tour takes place out of doors in an open and exposed environment. Please wear weather-appropriate clothing
• No food or drink may be purchased within the grounds of the Memorial Site. Pleaser bring refreshments with you
• As with all Radius tours, the guides are happy to accept tips if you wish to show your appreciation in this way - but please do not do so within the grounds of the Memorial Site