Explore Mumbai’s main sights on a detailed full-day tour. Discover bustling streets and stop at attractions such as the Gateway of India, and more. Visit the Elephanta Caves to tour the rock-cut temples, located on a unique island close to Mumbai.
What to Expect
Discover Mumbai, financial capital of India and the capital of the Indian state of Maharashtra on this extensive 10-hour sightseeing tour.
Bombay was officially renamed Mumbai in January 1996 and Mumbaites believe that the name came from the goddess “Mumba,” worshipped by the original Koli inhabitants. When the Portuguese arrived they called the harbor Bombaim, which may have stemmed from “Buan Bahia,” meaning “Good Bay” in Portuguese.
Your tour starts with a hotel pick-up at 09:30. Drive to the harbor and cross by motorboat to the Elephanta Caves, a unique island that resonates with the spiritual energy of India. Explore the island's rock-cut temples, dating back to the 5th century BC. Elephanta Island was named by the Portuguese, after a statue of an elephant located near the island’s landing area. The beautiful temples are dedicated to Shiva Mahadeva, and are rich in sculptural detail.
After lunch, return to the Gateway of India, one of the most prized monuments in India. Continue to the Prince of Wales Museum, also known as the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya of Mumbai. Its foundation stone was laid in 1905 by George V, the then Prince of Wales, during his visit to India.
Continue to Mani Bhavan, a veritable memorial to Mahatma Gandhi, Father of the Nation. Located near Nana Chowk of Gamdevi, it is also known as the Gandhi Museum, opening shortly after his assassination and showcasing his life and principles.
As you tour, look out for the city’s unique dabbawalas, the men who distribute tiffin boxes to offices throughout the city. Travel down vibrant streets full of color and the fragrant scent of street hawkers selling their spicy produce. And soak up Mumbai’s energetic atmosphere as your guide tells you more about the world’s 2nd most populated city.
- Transportation by air-conditioned Toyota Innova
- All applicable taxes and parking fees
- Boat ticket to the Elephanta Caves
- Local English-speaking guide
Know Before You Go
• Please note that the Elephanta Caves and Prince of Wales Museum are closed on Mondays
• Prices are subject to change
• Rates include only those items listed in the itinerary
• Tour quote does not include any service not indicated in the itinerary
• Any additional expense incurred due to a change in the Government of India and Reserve Bank of India regulations pertaining to taxes, currency fluctuation, fuel hikes, airfares and transport, and any force majeure situation due to political conditions, Prakriti Inbound reserve the right to adjust the tour price accordingly with/without prior notification