Taste the wines of Toledo on a full-day tour from Madrid. Visit a local winery and explore the vineyard and cellars. Then stroll around the city of 3 cultures on a walking tour of Toledo.
What to Expect
Enjoy a full-day trip from Madrid to explore the fascinating history of Toledo and experience all aspects of wine in the region, from the types of grapes used and how to grow them, to the secrets of wine tasting. After a pick-up from your Madrid hotel by private guide, enjoy a scenic drive towards the hillside city of Toledo, located approximately 1-hour south of Madrid. You can opt to explore Toledo first, with a winery visit in the afternoon, or vice versa.
If you choose to visit the winery first, you will explore the historic bodega’s facilities to get a fascinating explanation about the region’s wine making process, followed by a traditional lunch with wine tastings. The region is renowned for its superb produce, such as cheese from La Mancha, olive oil, marzipan and saffron. Then, continue to Toledo in the afternoon.
If you opt to explore Toledo first, you will get time to stroll around the city’s charming streets. Known as the “City of 3 Cultures,” Muslims, Christians and Jews have all lived in harmony in the city since the 8th century. Full of tradition and art, Toledo was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1986, and food and wine are mainstays of its everyday life.
Among the many historic monuments on offer, the superb Plaza del Ayuntamiento boasts the impressive Primate Cathedral, a magnificent example of flamboyant Gothic architecture. Wander the narrow streets of the old Jewish quarter, and admire the Church of Santo Tomé, home to El Greco’s famous painting “The Burial of Count Orgaz.”
Observe the old synagogue of Santa Maria la Blanca, a symbol of the co-existence of the 3 cultures, and admire the Monastery of San Juan de los Reyes. Get panoramic views over the Tagus River. Then enjoy a lunch of traditional La Mancha cuisine before your afternoon winery visit.
- Winery visit with tour and wine tasting
What's Not Included
- Tips and personal expenses
Know Before You Go
• An official guide for Toledo cannot be guaranteed
• Wineries visited depend on availability and your personal preferences. Once you have chosen your tour date, Rutas de Vino will confirm wineries and restaurant. You can suggest any winery you wish to visit and Rutas de Vino will try to accommodate
• Please note that Sundays are not the best days to visit wineries, as a lot of them are closed. Some wineries are also closed on Saturdays. However Rutas de Vino can still arrange excursions on these days with a more limited winery selection
• Although this is a private tour there is no guarantee that the winery visit will be just for your group unless specifically requested. Please let Rutas de Vino know if you prefer to have a private tour and tasting
• Usually you will taste 2 wines at the winery. More extensive tastings can be arranged