Taste the wines of the Ribera del Duero on a full-day wine tour from Madrid. Visit at least 2 wineries and tour the estate, vineyards and cellars. Learn about the wine making process and sit down to a traditional lunch, with wine tastings.
What to Expect
Located on the fertile plateaus north of Madrid, the Ribera del Duero is a rich wine growing region where viticulture was introduced by French Benedictine monks in the 12th century. On this 10-hour tour from Madrid, you will experience all aspects of Ribera del Duero wines, from the types of grapes used and how to grow them, to the secrets of wine tasting.
After a pick-up from your Madrid hotel by private guide, enjoy a scenic 2-hour drive to 2 Ribera wineries, where you will tour the facilities and get a fascinating explanation about the wine making process. Then, enjoy a traditional 3-course lunch of typical Ribera dishes, such as lamb roasted in a wood fired oven.
After lunch, you can visit the small walled town of Peñaranda, with its medieval castle, 16th-century Palace of Zúñiga y Avellaneda, and old pharmacy that has been owned by the Ximeno family since 1685. Alternatively, go to the town of Peñafiel, where a newly opened wine museum tells the story of Ribera wines in detail. Another option is to explore the medieval underground cellars of Aranda de Duero. And in some cases Rutas de Vino can program a visit to a 3rd winery, where you can sample yet more stupendous Ribera wines.
- 2 winery visits with tour and wine tasting
- Visit to a place of historical interest or a 3rd winery
- Traditional 3-course lunch with wine
What's Not Included
- Tips and personal expenses
Know Before You Go
• Wineries visited depend on availability and your personal preferences. Once you have chosen your tour date, Rutas de Vino will confirm wineries and restaurant. You can suggest any winery you wish to visit and Rutas de Vino will try to accommodate
• Please note that Sundays are not the best days to visit wineries, as a lot of them are closed. Some wineries are also closed on Saturdays. However Rutas de Vino can still arrange excursions on these days with a more limited winery selection
• Although this is a private tour there is no guarantee that the winery visit will be just for your group unless specifically requested. Please let Rutas de Vino know if you prefer to have a private tour and tasting
• Usually you will taste 2 wines at each winery. More extensive tastings can be arranged