Learn the secrets of Laos' ancient hill tribes with a workshop to create a traditional crossbow. You can use bamboo and wood to create one of the integral weapons in the region's Hmong hunter-gathering culture.
What to Expect
Learn the secrets of Laos' ancient hill tribes with a workshop to create a traditional crossbow. You can use bamboo and wood to create one of the integral weapons in the region's Hmong hunter-gathering culture, a device that lets you shoot farther through the jungle than your eyes can see.
As you join a veteran crossbow-maker, learn the traditional techniques to forge the weapon from a single block of wood and a piece of smoked bamboo, strung together by thick twine. Make sure you pay attention to how the bow fits together, so you can assemble it on your own.
Once you've put the finishing touches on your crossbow, try challenging your host to an archery duel and get a feel for how the weapon performs. When you're ready to head out, the device can be easily disassembled for transportation back home.
- Guided crossbow-making workshop
- Roundtrip transportation to/from your central Luang Prabang hotel
- Commentary in English
Cancel up to 1 day in advance for a full refund
Know Before You Go
• Maximum group size is 4 people.
• You do not need previous crafting experience.
• Hotel pickup is available from most centrally located Luang Prabang hotels. Please arrange pickup from your hotel or a nearby location when you call to confirm your reservation.
• Hours of operation are 9am–1pm. You will receive confirmation of your exact workshop time when you call to confirm your reservation.