Discover 3 cities on a full-day tour of Batalha, Nazaré, and Óbidos from Lisbon. Visit the Fátima Sanctuary and learn about the 3 children who had an apparition of the Virgin Mary. Marvel at the Monastery of Alcobaça, before exploring medieval Portugal.
What to Expect
Escape the hustle and bustle of Lisbon on a full-day tour of Batalha, Nazaré, and Óbidos, stopping en route at the Fátima Sanctuary to learn about the 3 children who had an apparition of the Virgin Mary in the early 20th century.
Following a pick-up from your hotel, transfer by private air-conditioned vehicle to Aljustrel where you will visit the houses of the 3 shepherds and the place of the 1st apparitions of the Angel. Continue to Valinhos, and learn how the Virgin Mary appeared on 19 August to 3 young children.
Hear about the multiple apparitions at the pilgrimage complex, including the site of the 1st and 3rd apparitions at Loca do Anjo. Learn about the Plight of the Hungarians before stopping at the Parish Church. Continue to the Chapel of Apparitions, erected after the legendary apparitions took place. Go to the Basilica of Our Lady of the Rosary of Fatima to visit the tombs of the 3 little shepherds. See the new ecumenical basilica in the Sanctuary before you continue your journey to Batalha.
Upon arrival at Batalha, visit the Monastery of Santa Maria da Vitória na Batalha, erected in commemoration of the 1385 Battle of Aljubarrota, and site of the burial church of the 15th-century Aviz dynasty of the Portuguese royals. Next, go to the Monastery of Alcobaça, founded by the first Portuguese King, Afonso Henriques. Continue to the popular seaside town of Nazaré to marvel at the imposing tiled church of the Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Nazaré.
End your tour in the medieval city of Óbidos, dominated by a hilltop castle and fortifications, and home to a medieval market. For two weeks in the year the castle and surrounding town recreate the spirit of medieval Europe with jousting events, spit roasted hog, and costumed parades.
The itinerary can be changed to attend to your needs. Lunch will be suggested at a typical restaurant during the day, and free time will be provided for shopping.
- Tour escort and host
- Hotel or port pick-up and drop off
- Transportation by air-conditioned vehicle
- Bottled water
What's Not Included
- Entrance fees
Know Before You Go
• Children must be accompanied by an adult
• Infant seats are available on request if advised at time of booking
• This tour involves a moderate amount of walking
• Tours operate in all weather conditions. Please dress accordingly
• Please note that a dress code is required to enter places of worship and selected museums. You may risk refused entry if you fail to comply with the dress requirements
• Due to the nature of this tour and the safety of all guests, the tour operator reserves the right to refuse service to passengers who are intoxicated or show signs of intoxication. If as a result, your tour is canceled, you will not be entitled to a refund