Discover the delightful south of Portugal, a peaceful and historic region of olive, cork, and orange groves and stunning coastal scenery. Explore the enchanting town of Évora and savor delicious Algarve cuisine on this 4-day excursion from Lisbon.
What to Expect
Explore the south of Portugal and enjoy the beauty of the Algarve on this 4-day excursion from Lisbon. You’ll tour the town of Évora, a World Heritage Site, pass by groves of cork, olive, and orange trees, and enjoy stunning views of the Atlantic Ocean and cliffs. Overnight accommodation in 4-star hotels is provided.
Day 1: Lisbon to Évora
Explore the town of Évora, a mosaic of culture, history, and traditions. En route you’ll cross the bridge over the Tejo River and pass through a bucolic landscape of olive trees, cork trees, and vineyards.
Walk the narrow streets of the whitewashed town of Évora, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and visit some of the most important monuments. You’ll see the Roman Temple, the Romanesque-Gothic Cathedral, St. Francis Church with the Chapel of Bones, and the university.
At the market you’ll see the wide variety of local products used to prepare some of the most inspired and appreciated dishes of Portugal. See the authenticity and diversity of local handicrafts made of cork, ceramic, and copper. In the afternoon, after lunch, you’ll have free time to further explore the city. Overnight at your Évora hotel.
Day 2: Évora, Beja, Silves, and Lagos
Enjoy breakfast at your hotel and part of the morning at leisure before heading south on a drive that passes Beja, the location of the highest medieval castle tower in Portugal.
After crossing some small mountains and passing by groves of orange trees you’ll arrive in the Algarve and stop in Silves, a town dominated by a red sandstone castle that dates back to Moorish times. Continue to the golden sands of the Algarve passing by Praia da Rocha to Lagos. Overnight in your Lagos hotel.
Day 3: Lagos, Ponta da Piedade, Sagres, and Cabo de São Vicente
After breakfast at your hotel you’ll head to Ponta da Piedade, taking in magnificent views over the Atlantic Ocean and cliffs whose shapes have been sculpted by the erosive action of both the sea and time.
Next is Sagres, a fishing port, where you’ll visit a fortress forever linked with the presence of Prince Henry the Navigator during the first days of Atlantic navigation and the discovery of the African coast. Continue along the cliffs to Cabo São Vincente, the south-westernmost point in Europe.
The city of Lagos, a cosmopolitan town with a marina and fishing port, is the perfect place for you to enjoy delicious Algarve dishes, such as fish and shellfish that are cooked in a copper pan (cataplana). Don’t forget to try fine sweets, such as the famous marzipan, or almond and fig cakes. You’ll return to the hotel and have the afternoon at leisure, perhaps enjoying a dip in the warm sea. Overnight in your Lagos hotel.
Day 4: Lagos, Setúbal, and Serra da Arrábida to Lisbon
Enjoy a last look at the water as you travel along the coast, and say farewell to the Algarve. The return trip to Lisbon will take you by the city of Setubal, a major port and industrial center on the north bank of the Sado estuary.
Then you’ll begin a scenic drive over the Arrábida mountain range, an area preserved as a natural park, featuring amazing scenery and unique vegetation. Take in the sweeping views of the Tróia Peninsula before crossing the bridge over the Tejo River and arriving in Lisbon.
- Pick-up at any Lisbon hotel
- Accommodation on buffet-breakfast basis at the following 4-star hotels, or similar: Hotel Muralhas Mar d'Ar in Évora; Hotel Vila Galé Lagos in Lagos
- Transportation by air-conditioned bus or minivan
- Tour guide
- Entrance fees for the Chapel of Bones (Évora), St. Francis Church (Évora), Évora Cathedral, and St. Vincent Fortress (Sagres)
What's Not Included
- Entrance fees not mentioned above
- Lunches and dinners
- Personal expenses
- Pick-up at Estoril Coast, Sintra, Cascais, Costa da Caparica, and Sesimbra-area hotels (available at an additional charge)
Cancel up to 1 day in advance for a full refund
Know Before You Go
• Reservations are only accepted up to 72 hours prior to the tour date. Reservations are only guaranteed following receipt of payment by bank transfer, which needs to be submitted at least 72 hours prior to the date of service
• Cancelations made up to 72 hours prior to departure date do not incur a fee. There are no refunds after this deadline
• Tickets for children up to the age of 4 are free but only include transportation (with any other costs incurred by the accompanying adult). Children from 5 years of age pay the adult fee
• This tour has a minimum 4 passenger requirement and is subject to cancelation if this minimum is not met. In the unlikely event of such a cancelation, a refund will be provided