Discover the wonders of Portugal on a unique 3-day tour from Lisbon. Marvel at fairytale palaces in Sintra, go to the pilgrim site of Fatima, discover the surf beaches of the Estoril Coast, explore medieval villages such as Óbidos, and much more.
What to Expect
Explore the best of Portugal on a 3-day sightseeing tour from Lisbon. Go to the fairytale village of Sintra to marvel at the Moor-inspired palaces and castles. Drive along the Estoril Coast, and admire some of the golden sand surf beaches and dramatic cliffs of the Atlantic Ocean. Go to the westernmost point of continental Europe, visit the shrine of Fátima, taste local wines and olive oils in one of Portugal’s most important wine cellars, and much more.
Day 1: Lisbon - Sintra - Cabo da Roca - Cascais - Estoril - Lisbon
Depart Lisbon for the majestic Pena Palace in the Sintra Mountains, and discover an astonishing fairytale castle on one of the highest peaks of the mountain range. Then, walk down the charming streets of Sintra village, and discover why it has enchanted kings and inspired poets for hundreds of years. Pop into quaint handicraft shops and tea rooms, and taste delicious sweets like the local queijadas (cheese pastry) or travesseiros (almond puffs). Continue to the Colares wine lands en route to Cabo da Roca, continental Europe’s westernmost point. Pass the impressive surf beach at Guincho, the cliffs of the Boca do Inferno, and the fishing village of Cascais. Return to Lisbon, enjoying a panoramic view of the casino of Cascais and its gardens along the way.
Day 2: Lisbon - Óbidos - Alcobaça - Nazaré - Batalha - Fátima - Lisbon
Today’s comprehensive itinerary starts with a visit to the small town of Óbidos, where you can wander past whitewashed houses with wrought iron balconies, and surrounded by medieval walls. Continue to Alcobaça to visit the UNESCO World Heritage Site of the Church of the Monastery, the oldest Gothic style church in Portugal. Admire the tombs of D. Pedro and of D. Inês de Castro. Next, enjoy lunch in the colorful fishing village of Nazaré. Then, go to Batalha Monastery to see a masterpiece of Gothic architecture, with stunning stained-glass windows. Follow in the footsteps of Catholic pilgrims at the Sanctuary of our Lady of Fátima. Visit the basilica that contains the tombs of the 3 shepherd children, Lúcia, Francisco, and Jacinta, whose apparition of the Virgin Mary gave birth to the cult of Fátima. Visit the Apparition Chapel in the heart of the shrine, and attend mass (subject to availability), before you return to Lisbon through a rich agricultural region.
Day 3: Lisbon - Évora - Monsaraz - Lisbon
Leave Lisbon for the artistic town of Évora, and discover a mosaic of culture, history, and local traditions. Cross over the River Tejo, and pass through a bucolic landscape of olive trees, cork oak trees, and vineyards. Upon arrival at Évora, stroll the narrow streets of whitewashed buildings, and see historic monuments, such as the Roman Temple, Romanesque-Gothic Cathedral, and the Ossuary (“Bones Chapel”) at the Church of St. Francis. Marvel at the range of produce on sale in the market, and get a better understanding of why Portuguese food is so admired. Admire local handicrafts made from cork, ceramics, or copper. Pause for lunch, before going to Monsaraz to visit one of Portugal’s most important wine cellars at Herdade do Esporão. Taste the wines and locally produced olive oil at the end of your tour.
- Pick-up from any hotel in Lisbon
- Transportation by air-conditioned minibus or coach
- Accommodation at the 4-star Hotel Lutécia (or similar) in Lisbon, with buffet breakfast
- Entrance fees to the Palácio da Pena (Sintra), Batalha Monastery Cloisters (Batalha), Bone's Chapel (Évora), S. Francisco Church (Évora) and Évora Cathedral
What's Not Included
- Any entrance fees not mentioned in "what's included"
- Lunch and dinners (optional)
- Tips and personal expenses
- Pick-up and drop off at hotels outside Lisbon. Clients staying on the Estoril Coast, or in Sintra or Cascais can arrange a pick-up and drop off service for an additional charge. Transfers from Costa da Caparica and Sesimbra are also available for an additional charge (minimum 4 people)
Cancel up to 1 day in advance for a full refund
Know Before You Go
• This tour is available in Portuguese, English, Spanish and French
• Reservations can only be accepted up to 72 hours prior to the tour date. Reservations are only guaranteed following due receipt of payment by bank transfer. This must be submitted at least 72 hours prior to the date of service
• Cancellations up to 72 hours prior to the departure date are free of any charges. There are no refunds after this deadline
• Children up to the age of 4 are free, but this only covers transportation. Additional costs are incurred by the accompanying adult. Children older than 5 pay the adult rate
• This tour has a minimum 4 passenger requirement and is subject to cancellation if this minimum is not met. In the unlikely event of such a cancellation, a refund will be provided