Join your host, Keiko, for a private, hands-on cooking lesson and lunch in her Kyoto home. Enjoy a traditional Obanzai meal while learning about Japanese cultural and culinary heritage from a local.
What to Expect
Meet Keiko at her local subway station and drive together to her home for your private cooking experience. You will be welcomed by into Keiko's home and served a drink. Roll up your sleeves and join Keiko in her kitchen to learn how to cook a traditional Obanzai meal that will feature seasonal produce, fish, and local ingredients. You can expect to not only learn how to prepare authentic dishes but also learn about a style of Japanese cuisine that might be new to you. After cooking together, you will share a delicious meal with Keiko and possibly her parents at their low, Japanese-style dining table.
The menu might include Japanese home-cooked dishes such as nikujaga (a dish of meat and potatoes stewed in soy sauce), kinpira gobo (a sweet and savory sauté of burdock root and carrots), saikyo-zuke (Kyoto-style miso-marinated fish), and dessert. After your cultural experience and meal, Keiko will drop you back off at the train station. Leave Keiko with new recipes, a full stomach, a true glimpse into a local’s life, and an appreciation of Japanese cuisine and culture.
- Cooking Lesson
- Local Host
What's Not Included
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Cancel up to 1 day in advance for a full refund
Take the subway from Kyoto Station to Kokusaikaikan Station, which should take about 20 minutes. Keiko will pick you up and drive you to her home. Meet her in front of Exit 3 on the street level. She will be standing between the stairs and escalator when you exit the station. The drive to her home takes about 15min.
(Open in Google Maps)
Know Before You Go
• Please note, this is not a professional cooking class, rather this experience is a visit into a traditional, local home to meet a local person and share the culture and cuisine together.
• Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
• Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
• Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
• A minimum of 2 people per booking is required