Travel back in time and visit the ruins of Ephesus on a full-day tour from Izmir or Kusadasi. Stroll down marble streets to see the remains of temples, statues and Roman baths. And go to the house where the Virgin Mary spent her final days.
What to Expect
Explore the stunning ruins of Ephesus on this full-day sightseeing tour from Izmir or Kusadasi, also available as a half-day option from Kusadasi for those short of time. As it is a private tour you can start at any time you like, depending on the arrival and departure time of your cruise ship.
You will also visit the small House of the Virgin Mary, where it is thought she spent her final days after St. John brought her to Ephesus following the death of Jesus. Located on Mount Bulbuldagi (Koressos), it’s a popular pilgrim site for Christians and Muslims and boasts a captivating, spiritual atmosphere.
Once inside the grounds of Ephesus, wander among the ruins with your guide to see sites such as the Odeon Theatre, which could seat up to 1,400 spectators in its day. Admire the beautiful Roman statues and decorations carved into marble slabs at the Pollio Fountain. Other highlights include the Celcius Library, completed by the Romans in 117AD. The building has the most awe-inspiring façade, with columns, statues, and intact windows.
Finally, explore the Greek Temple of Artemis, one of the 7 Wonders of the Ancient World, and go to the Basilica of St John (Kusadasi departures only), constructed by Justinian I over the burial site of the Apostle John.
- Entrance fees
- Private transportation
- Private guide
- Pick-up and drop off
- Parking fees
What's Not Included
- Tips and personal expenses
- Drinks at lunch
Meet your guide at Kusadasi Port. Walk out of the customs building, and you'll see your guide holding a board with your name on it. Please be aware that cruise days are busy, so make sure that you have the operator's emergency number with you in case you have trouble location your guide and need to contact them
(Open in Google Maps)
Know Before You Go
• Please note that the attractions at Ephesus open at 08:00
• This tour requires a minimum of 2 hours walking. Wear comfortable shoes, a hat, and sun cream, and bring an umbrella (for sun or rain depending on the season)
• Bring your camera, but please note that tripods are not allowed at Ephesus
• There is no obligation to cover your head or shoulders in Ephesus. You may wear shorts and T-shirts in summer. For the House of the Virgin Mary a pashmina will be adequate cover
• Discounts are available for children under 11 years old. Please bring their passports or ID card to show upon entering the museum and attractions. If you don’t have ID, they may be charged full adult price