Join an interactive private tour with personal guide service where you’ll get fully acquainted with Krakow’s Jewish heritage. Feel the trace of Krakow’s Jews in Old Town, explore bohemian Kazimierz and visit two synagogues.
What to Expect
This is a private walking tour, so your guide may pick you up from you city center accommodation, or you can meet in the supplier's office in the heart of the Old Town. Your personal guide will be at your disposal throughout the tour, giving you plenty of chances to ask questions and get to know them, and lots of time to ask for local tips and hints of where to go and what else to do during your stay in Krakow.
Throughout the centuries Polish and Jewish history have been closely entwined, and no trip to Krakow would be complete without getting to know the the religious, artistic and historical heritage of Krakow’s Jewish community. Jews played an important role in the country’s cultural, economic and political life and this tour will take you through the ages with an expert guide to explore and understand important events over time.
Start the tour in Old Town where you hear about the origin of the Jewish community in the middle ages before making your way over to the Podgorze district which was a key site during the most devastating event of the 20th century for Europe’s Jews - the Holocaust. Here you not only visit the memorial to those who perished during the war, but also hear the heroic stories of those who risked their livelihoods to save others, including Oscar Schindler.
Then make your way back over the Vistula river to Kazimierz - once the home to more than 65,000 Jews and the center of Jewish life in Krakow. Here learn about thriving Jewish life past and present, get to know some of the most important characters from this community and the work of Krakow’s Jews that was felt throughout the world. The tour includes an interior visit and entry ticket to both the Tempel and Remuh Synagogue and the Old Jewish Cemetery, and learn about the Old Synagogue, Isaac’s Synagogue, kosher shops and Jewish cultural centers. This tour also includes a short refreshment break where you’ll have a further opportunity to get hints and tips from your expert guide.
- English-speaking guide
- Coffee or soft drink with dessert
- Entry to Remuh Synagogue and Old Cemetery
- Entry to Tempel Synagogue
- Public transport tickets
What's Not Included
- Transport to/from the meeting point
Cancel up to 1 day in advance for a full refund
Know Before You Go
• Participants will need to be fit for light continuous walking, for up to 3+ hours
• Tour goes in all weather conditions so please dress appropriately
• Important notice: Due to the restrictions set by the Synagogues, male guests will be required to wear a skull cap during interior visits (provided). Please wear modest clothing (covering shoulders and thighs) when visiting the Synagogue.
• Tours cancelled within 72 hours of the start date will incur a cancellation penalty and no refund will be given. No-shows or non-participation are considered non-refundable.