Explore the subterranean marvels of Wieliczka Salt Mine with a half-day tour from Krakow. Experience one of Poland's most eagerly visited sites and discover the salt-carved monuments and chambers of this 800-year-old mine.
What to Expect
Leave Krakow behind for a fascinating half-day tour of Poland's legendary Wieliczka Salt Mine. Along with the mine's historical importance, its carvings, monuments and altarpieces have earned the Wieliczka Salt Mine a place on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage list.
Descend 380 steps into this vast underground complex, complete with huge caverns and underground lakes. The 2-kilometer (1.2 miles) tour route trail leads through numerous drifts, galleries and chambers, where traces of mining activity have been preserved, as well as statues depicting mythical, historical and religious figures.
Admire salt sculptures of the saints and unique reliefs of devotional scenes, as well as a recreation of Da Vinci’s Last Supper in salt. Tour the richly ornamented Chapel of the Blessed Kinga, a subterranean church richly decorated with chandeliers, sculptures and religious figures – carved entirely from salt.
- Local guide
- Admission ticket to Wieliczka Salt Mine Museum
- Guided walk through Wieliczka Salt Mine (elevator ride to the ground level on exit only)
- Hotel pick-up
- Transport by air-conditioned coach
What's Not Included
- Photography fees
- Food and drinks, unless specified
Know Before You Go
• The temperature in the mine is constant (about 14 degrees), and therefore it is recommended to bring warm clothing, even in the summer
• There are 800 steps on the way, including 380 right at the start, so it is recommended to wear comfortable shoes
• Part of the route has wheelchair access, although prior booking is necessary
• A discounted entrance fee is available for students aged up to 24 holding a valid student ID and entry is free for children under 5 years of age traveling with carers, although it is necessary to provide this information when making a reservation
• It is forbidden to smoke and use lighters in the mine