Go to Gangasagar on a full-day tour from Kolkata. Regarded as one of the most important pilgrimage spots in West Bengal, sail to the island in the confluence of the River Ganges and Bay of Bengal.
What to Expect
Explore the famous pilgrimage spot of Gangasagar on the River Ganges and discover the site of the annual festival of Makar Sankranti. You will be picked up from your Kolkata hotel at 06:00 to facilitate the 3-hour journey to Kakdwip.
Relax in air-conditioned comfort on the 80-mile journey. On arrival at Kakdwip, board a local ferry to the other side of the river at Kochuberia, a journey of approximately 30 – 40 minutes. Another 40-minute drive will then take you to Gangasagar.
Every year on the day of Makar Sankranti, in mid-January, pilgrims from all over India gather for a holy dip at the confluence of the River Ganga and the Bay of Bengal. After the holy dip, the pilgrims offer Puja at the Kapil Muni Temple or Ashram. On the occasion of Makar Sankranti, Gangasagar Mela, one of the biggest festivals in West Bengal, is organized on Sagar Island.
Whatever time of year you visit, Gangasagar offers the charms of an unspoilt beach on the estuary of the River Ganges. Also known as Sagardwip, Gangasagar remains remarkably unexplored and unexploited. During your visit, you will see the famous Kapil Muni Temple dedicated to one of the sages of Hindu legend.
You can also visit the Ashram of Kapil Muni. All earlier temples were destroyed by natural calamities, but, in the year 1973, the construction of the present Kapil Muni Temple was completed with the assistance of the Government of Bengal.
Among the other holy places to see are the Bharat Sevashram Sangha Temple, the Ramakrishna Mission, and the Onkarnath Temple.
The Ramakrishna Mission Ashram is a branch of the well-known philanthropic and religious organization in Belur. The Ashram has been offering assistance to the poor and needy in the remotest rural areas of India for more than 70 years.
At the end of your tour, you will be taken back to Kolkata for a hotel drop-off.
- Sightseeing and excursion per itinerary
- English speaking guide
- Air-conditioned transportation
- Ferry charge
- All taxes and service charges
What's Not Included
- Any air and train fares
- Medical insurance
- Any expenses arising out of unforeseen circumstances, such as flight delay/cancellation/hike in fare/strike or any natural calamity
- Camera fee at monuments
Cancel up to 1 day in advance for a full refund
Know Before You Go
• Please note the vehicle that will drop you at Kakdwip (Lot No. 08) will be stationed there until your return
• Driving time may vary depending on traffic conditions
• Ferry services are available at regular intervals of 30 minutes in the morning/evening and 45 minutes in the afternoon
• Sailing time may vary depending on the tides
• Local transport on the other side of the river are all NON air-conditioned
• Cancellation policy: 7 days prior to the commencement of tour - no cancellation charges; 3-6 days prior to date of tour - 50% cancellation charges; less than 48 days before the start of tour - no refund