Istanbul Walking Seminar: History, Continuity, Diversity
From £356 Per group up to 6Book now
- Learn about Istanbul's history from an expert
- Get an in-depth look at majestic Chora Church, now a mosque and museum
- Walk past Roman and Byzantine ruins
We begin at Kariye Camii, also known as Chora Church, which was built in the 5th century and then rebuilt in the 11th century. Now a mosque and museum, Kariye is a living monument to the various stages of Istanbul's history. The guide will draw connections and comparisons to what was happening in other places at these times.
Then you walk along ancient wall, past Roman and Byzantine ruins but also focusing on the modern neighborhood that has grown up nearby.
Home to the oldest synagogue in the city and also to the Gereek Orthodox Patriarchate, Balat has traditionally been a melting pot. It is the perfect backdrop for discussions of Istanbul's myriad cultures and the urban tapestry they weave.
- Walking tour through Balat that includes Chora Church, the ancient synagogue and the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate
Meet your guide outside Asitane restaurant, next to Kariye Camii, also known as Chora Church, in the city's Balat quarter. The address is Kariye Camii Sokak. No 6. (Open in Google Maps)
• The walks can be cancelled up to 48 hours in advance with an 85% refund. Within 48 hours, all reservations are final and cannot be refunded. Walks are held come rain or shine with some variations to accommodate the weather. If you are running late, we ask that you call to alert us so that we can relay the message to the guide. No shows are treated as last-minute cancellations and no refund will be given. Cancellations must be made directly with our local offices by calling them directly, or on the emergency number provided. Cancellations made via email or by calling our 800 number in the U.S. may not be honored.
Product ID: 14601